[Jun 27, 2013] BIOC Lobby - Save One Bullet (PA1NTS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
biocthreadsignup.png

Hey everyone!
Welcome to my BIOC Lobby for Thursday, June 27th

"Save One Bullet"
Host's HaloCustoms username: PA1NTS
Host's Gamertag: PA1NTS
Day of hosting: Thursday, June 27th
Start Time: 6:00 PM EASTERN / 5:00 PM CENTRAL
End Time (approximately): When everyone has had their maps tested.
Description: The goal of this lobby is to test out your flood maps. Bring your friends and bring your best flood maps.

1. Quality Completed Maps (Trusted Maps)
2. Your Flood Maps

We’ll play what YOU want to play!
According to BIOC standards, you can also submit a map, whether it is for testing or just something that you enjoy. We have four major rules that you need to keep in mind:
1. The map has to be a Survival Infection map. Click for more information. It pretty much it means: No mini-games.
2. You need to submit your map in a comment down below. Give details such as the name and a brief description. Providing links and a picture as well have our preference.
3. You have to attend at the lobby in order to get the map played.
4. You have to make sure that the map is in your fileshare by the time of submitting it, so we can download it. I will NOT promote you to leader.

The rules READ, IMPORTANT!
1. Signing up means showing up. If something important comes up, let me know.
2. You may not ask to be promoted to leader. (This does not count for co-hosts.)
3. Players that are in a different party chat or do not have a microphone are more likely to be kicked. Having a mic is a lot more fun for all players, including you, if you can talk with each other and with the host.

How to join
In order to be able to join this lobby, there's one final thing you have to do.
You must make sure to send the following message to me on Xbox Live (PA1NTS), 15 minutes before my lobby begins:

"INV BIOC"

Finally, please rate this lobby once it’s over. It will help us to get more and better lobbies in the future. (Obviously this means you also have to use the RSVP-function, so don’t forget about that either.)

That is all! See you in my lobby!
- PA1NTS

Links:
- Official Youtube Channel
- Official BIOC Map Submission Thread
- Official BIOC Map Database
- Official BIOC Front Page

evachaloposter.jpg
Evacuation is a linear expansive, flood, team based game, were players have five minutes to make it to a pelican to survive the flood outbreak. Players may face traps, locked doors and be tasked with gathering objectives during their escapade to the pelican, all before time runs out.
Download Maps: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/p...Date=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0
Download Game Type: http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/p...Date=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0
Evac Halo's Departure Map Pack:
Plant 510 [Erosion Canvas]: Created by Vientus (Co-Founder of Evac Halo)
21132116.jpg

Outpost 9 [Ravine Canvas]: Created by Tdrow (Co-Founder of Evac Halo) modified by Vientus
22437831.jpg

Grid 471 [Impact Canvas]: Crated by Hi Im Berb (Not affiliated with Evac Halo) modified by Vientus
28490991.jpg

Side note, Yes I do have Berb's permission, I actually just played this with him yesterday.
Game play features:
*The lobby capped for this game type should be placed at 12 players. While it can support 16 players 12 offers the optimal experience.
*Two hit humans with shield that recharging after 60 seconds.
*Flood are two shots any where with DMR or BR, three shot with Magnum, one shot with shot gun, snipe, and or a short burst of Assault Rifle.
Load outs:
*Flood use all default Halo 4 load outs
*Humans can pick from loads with Hard light shied, Auto Sentry, Regeneration Field, Thruster Pack, or Hologram. With Weapons supporting each ability creating a unit class.
*Evacuation uses all Human weapons must are obtain via personal ordinance. However there are two DMRs, BR, Shotguns, Snipers, and one Assault Rifle per map.
Evacuation does have a learning curve and because of this I recommend playing the maps twice. Strait up, some people don't like how the game plays the first go around, because it's not like most linear flood. However don't let the fact that it's different scare you off, if you stick with it, it's a ton of fun! Like I said it just has a learning curve. To see what makes evacuation different from most linear flood maps, check out our form post. Link down below. If you’re ready to escape your limitations, challenge the status quo, have fun and go beyond, evac awaits.
To learn more about evacuation or get involved visit our site: http://evachalo.webs.com/
Also check out our form post: http://halocustoms.com/maps/evac-halos-official-departure-map-pack-game-type.427/

Reactions: Elliot
In many ways I was not surprised as to how the night went. The lobby as a whole was more for talking and rambling on about whose map will be featured in matchmaking, than actual in game communication. As well I fear the group as a whole prefer, defended the house over any form of linear infection. Which is fine to each his own, I am simply stuck as to what to do however. Many in the lobby said “This is a bad game.” “Being flood sucks!” and what not, once again that’s fine. Not everyone is going to like what I make. Especially when the map and the gameplay as a whole are drastically different from what is found typically in infection custom games. The goal of evacuation is not to make bad maps. The goal is to start the ball rolling as to what linear flood could be not what linear flood is.
I joined this lobby because I saw Elliot was going to be there, I hoped to hit two birds with one stone. Show him the map and get some feedback as well. However nether event took place. To my knowledge Elliot never showed and feedback was “this is a bad map.” I will say that the maps are done; they have been tested since the launch of halo 4. Like I said in my description, people don’t like the game at first because they don’t know what’s going on and there is a learning curve. If you play evacuation more, the more you will like it.
I was disappointed that we were unable to even play a full game, that being all three rounds. I also was disappointed by the fact that players were joining and leaving throughout. This causes things to respawn or be delayed longer, as a whole it messes everything up. While I would have liked to hear what was bad, and or good about the maps. The mob mentality and negative I feel will and did prevent any such information from coming to light.
I will ask a few questions in hopes not to argue my point but try and get a few to actually play more than one around of a game. One how can a map be bad and it suck to be a flood when in a game type made for 12 players only 4 or less where left standing as human at the end of the round? That means 7 people were converted during the match. I was also asked what the point to progress? While just as in any other linear flood map, the flood will force you to progress but you as the human should want to get to the end. Part of the problem was the fact that no one knew the maps progression and instead of playing the map for more than one around. Any sense of learning where to go/where players come from was completely lost.
I will not argue my point, if you feel the need to post below and say how much you disliked playing. Feel free, I simply fear Halo is dying out and the community has grown to become too locked into what things have to be. Instead of looking at what things could be. I for the most part am new to halo customs, and from the few lobbies I have hosted evacuation has been hit or miss. Some lobbies love it and want to play it more and others just down right hate it.
While I would like the think the people who played tonight would actually just try playing through a whole game of evacuation. In really they most likely could care less. I’m not trying to sugar coat the map or game play it’s different and anytime anything is different from the norm people push back to prevent the change from occurring.
Pa1nts your lobby as a whole was fun, but not beneficial at all in receiving any sort of constructive feedback, good or bad. While I thank you for your time. I don’t really know if it was a fair shake. Regardless like you said, “I’ve never seen a map use the whole canvas.” Evac Halo was created to promote what linear flood can become, not what linear flood currently is. We strive to escape limitations, challenge the status quo, have fun and go beyond. I simply fear we are just ahead of our time.
Thanks again for the invite, while I feel you as an individual tried to be fair, I don’t think lobby a whole was. If you want I can invite you to an Evac Halo (clan) lobby hosted on July 13th and you will see that both game play and lobby communication is drastically different for what you experienced tonight. Just message me if you ever want to try one out. If you don’t that’s fine too.
Cheers,
-Vent

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Vientus, a few things for ya.

First, I had no idea you were in the lobby. I doubt anyone did, as pa1nts had said he was playing maps that had been submitted to him, so we assumed that the submittor was not in the lobby. When people play maps when they think the creator isn't there, they tend to be much harsher, and once the first few people say "the map sucks," everyone else will side with them, regardless of what they actually think. I personally was guilty of this on a few occasions, as I had said some negative things about the map that I didn't truly mean just for the sake of agreeing with the others.

Second, you mentioned a few times that the people disliked your maps just because they are so different that the players are just unwilling to accept it. I can connect with you on this one, as all of the maps I forge are extremely unconventional, and I have felt exactly as you do on several occasions when my radically different maps were denied and criticized. I would get quite pissed as I sat back and watched as the lame arena maps, which there are plenty of already, got all of the glory and recognition while my maps lay in the shadows, despite the fact that they proposed unique and new concepts. I'm not sure if this is the actual reason the maps are frowned upon, but I have certainly had the thought several times.

Also, I think that the main reason you didn't get much feedback is because the players didn't know you were there, but I'll offer you my opinions on the map. First, I had a ton of fun playing as a spartan. I felt like I was actually a part of an elite fireteam or something as the group pushed along, and we had to cover our sides and our six as we pushed along, watching for ambushes and attacks. I really got into it, which is why I was shouting every time I died or almost died.Also, I really like how you had the flood spawn on the ledges so they can jump down and attack anywhere on the map. It allowed the flood to be more tactical, and kept the humans on their toes. However, I see why people said "it sucks to be flood," as it's difficult to take out the humans, and you get killed easily, so it takes attack after attack and death after death until you finally get the infection. I think the map could be made better if you find ways to let the flood be more tactical, like adding more ambush opportunities for the flood instead of long sightlines where they can easily get picked off before they get anywhere close. Also, the maps are enormous and the humans often get spread out a bit, so sometimes it can be a bit hard for the flood to find them. I think you could fix this by giving them promethian vision or adding waypoints to designate the humans' locations. But overall, it kinda balanced out, as the humans only made it to the end of the map successfully a few times. Also, as humans, it would have helped to know the concept of the map before playing it, so they are more encouraged to move forward and get to the end and understand how the map is meant to work (I spent a couple games camping at the beginning of the map to hide and survive, which I now realized kinda ruined the point of it. This could be prevented with promethian vision or waypoints, as the flood could see the humans camping at the beginning and eliminate them). But you did post them here, so it's not really your fault that we didn't know.

I don't think that the lobby hated the map as much as you think they did. There were a lot of complaints about being flood, but there wasn't that much hating over the map itself, and the players weren't impatient for the game to hurry up and end, which starts to happen in the games that really suck or drag on too long. I had plenty of positive things to say about the map, like some of the points I mentioned in the paragraph above, but I just did not say them during the lobby because I didn't know that the forger was there. I'm sure many others felt this way also. But overall I thought the gametype and the map series was great. Definitely some room for improvement, but I had a blast playing it, whether or not I actually said that during the games. And I love the concept of evacuation itself- trying to get to the pelican and escape while holding off the flood and staying alive. Certainly one I want to play again sometime, so I'll see if I can join your Evac Halo lobby.

Good luck with the series!
-Shock

Thanks, while hearing the good things is great! I really want to hear what you guys don't like, you can't change what's bad if no one tell you. I do realize that at time the sight lines are too long/open the challenge evac faces is with the actual forge budget as a whole. You need to make a map that has enough detail as to not be plain, but large enough to use up the five minutes of game play. While I actually want to hear what's bad, I dislike hear "It's bad" Tell more, tell me why it's bad. I was able to pick up on a few things. I have now changes the game type so that flood are three shots instead of the two. As for the use of promethean vision. it's already in the game. Evac uses default halo 4 load outs for flood that being thruster, promethean vision, and camo. People simply did not use it in game, IDK why they just chose not to. I'll message you when to look for an Evac Halo lobby. We normally do one every sat 8pm EST. but I will be out of town for the next few weeks so look for one late July. =/
Thanks Again,
-Vent

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Sorry I didn't give you that much feedback. Sometimes I forget that I'm hosting a feedback/test lobby because I host other types of lobbies too where people just put maps on. I'm hosting a lobby on July 8th, if you sign up and show up for that one I could give you much better feedback. I'll post the lobby today and add the link.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Sorry I didn't give you that much feedback. Sometimes I forget that I'm hosting a feedback/test lobby because I host other types of lobbies too where people just put maps on. I'm hosting a lobby on July 8th, if you sign up and show up for that one I could give you much better feedback. I'll post the lobby today and add the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.