Halo Arena Seasons

How long do you think the Halo 5 seasons should be?

• Less than 1 month

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 month

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • 2 months

• 3 months

• 4 months

• 5 months

• 6 months

• 1 year

• Total voters

Vader

Qualified
May 30, 2013
Now that we're in the 5th season (counting the pre-season), I feel like everyone has had a decent amount of time to feel everything out. So I was wondering how everyone felt about the season length.

How do I feel about the current season length?
Right now, I feel like a one month season is too short. It's enough time to get ranked in one or two playlists but getting all five is difficult. Having to play 50 matches in a month (as there are 5 playlists that display ranks) just so you can play people at your skill level is a bit much. I usually only end up ranking in one or two playlists at the most. My placement usually ends up being exactly the same as the previous month, which makes me wish I could have just kept playing at this level rather than go through the ranking matches again. Because of this, most of my matches every month end up being the ranking matches, for the playlists that show rank at least. (If other people have this problem, I would be glad to hear your thoughts).

While I feel the ranking matches do a good job of placing you, I would like to be able to stay placed for longer.
I've found the ranked matches pit you against people of all levels, but more often people who are better than you. I don't have any problem with how the ranking matches work. I think they work well. However, I often do not get past the ranking matches in many playlists due to the shortness of the season. When you only play one or two matches a month in a playlist, and those matches are ranking matches, the quality of those matches is up in the air. Since you are not ranked, you have no idea whether you'll be playing people at your level or people at a higher level. Because of this, I've found myself avoiding the playlists I know I won't complete 10 matches in a month, as I feel I'm unlikely to get good match ups while still in ranking process. I usually only play one or two modes, as I feel I'm better off being able to get good match ups in one mode than poor match ups in many. However, this limits the diversity of the game for me, detracting from it's appeal.

Ok, so you don't like the 1 month season? What you like instead?
Personally, I like the idea of three month seasons. I feel like that would give you enough time to not only place in all the ranked playlists, but to also play at that level. I personally am more interested in playing against people at my own level, whatever rank that may be, than earning a spot on a top rank. I'm never going to be in those top ranks, so a reset every month just to get placed in the same spot can be frustrating.

But what about the people who are in the top ranks?
I understand there are people who play much more than me and are trying to earn a champion rank. I understand how a reset can be helpful for that. However, the majority of people are not ever going to be in the running for a top spot. Halo 5 population by rank: https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/44bdmq/halo_5_how_good_are_you_really_end_of_jan_2016/. I don't think that the game should cater to only the best of the best players. I know making Pro Halo big again is a huge initiative for 343 right now, but at the same time I would like the game to still be fun for people who aren't at that level and play much less.

Closing thoughts
From what I can tell, shorter seasons are better for people who do not play as regularly and at lower levels, as they give you more time to not only get placed, but play matches at that level. In contrast, the shorter seasons tend to favor those people who are at very high ranks that have a much higher turnover rate. While I don't think there is a solution that will please everyone, I believe there is a middle ground that will please most people (or more than currently). Maybe the solution is to reset onyx and champion more often than the lower ranks (this is just idea, would be glad to hear others' thoughts).

I know that right now, I feel I can't fully enjoy the game as I'm too busy trying to get ranked again so I can actually have fairer match ups.

I'd be glad to hear other people opinions on this. I know there is a VERY long thread on the Waypoint forums, but I'm interested in what the people in the Halo Customs community think. Waypoint forum thread: https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...ck/b46b2abe-3e7c-453d-80af-475b5646a43b/posts

Reactions: Psychoduck