Map Map Spotlight - Athelon

front-page-content-spotlight.png

Some of you may remember that a fair few maps made their way on to the front page back in the days of Halo 4. As it as now been a few months since the release of The Master Chief Collection, it is about time that we kick off another series of map spotlights that will span across all categories and possibly not just remain exclusive to Halo 2 Anniversary. Front page map features are now going to be occurring more frequently than they had in Halo 4 and on a regular basis. As I am a biased fan of Core map design I thought what better way to start this show than with Athelon designed by WARHOLIC.

Athalon1.jpg

This symmetrical 4v4 map stands out as an excellent arena to settle those intense CTF and Ricochet games. Despite giving the initial impression of having a fairly straightforward layout, Athelon is packed with all the necessary elements for a great competitive experience. This is a map that becomes more and more interesting to run matches on as the player learns how to take advantage of the wide variety of strategies that this layout offers. It is no surprise that Athelon is a great Halo 2 Anniversary map because it is a remake of its former successful iteration, ÆTHEIST, from Halo 4.

If you are getting tired of Shrine and Warlord all day then this is definitely a fantastic map to add to the list. You can check out Athelon in the maps section here and you can also find the original Halo 4 version of the map, ÆTHEIST. It is exciting to see what you guys have been coming up with other the past few months. We hope you continue to surprise us with new content for the chance to see your map in the spotlight. This should be the first in a series of many map features to come throughout the lifespan of The Master Chief Collection and beyond. Expect something different this time next week!

Last edited by a moderator:
Though I haven't played this remake yet (I intend to this evening), I can only imagine that it's a great choice for a spotlight based on the quality of the original. Atheist is the map that proved to me that Ricochet was an exciting competitive mode and a worthy addition to the list of staple objective modes in Halo (something good was bound to come out of Halo 4 eventually). It looks like the recharge station has been replaced with a boring old regular overshield, though. I always liked the dynamics that the charging station created. The map looks downright sexy this time around, though.