Dominion Analysis: Base Placement/Interaction

Which Dominion map do you prefer?

• Total voters

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
DISCLAIMER: I'm no expert on Dominion. THFE's AbleSir Thomas has many videos regarding Dominion forging that you might want to check out before reading.

Story is, I've been looking to build some kind of Dom map. After experimenting with a design, the map ran terribly (what a surprise there), and base placement was one of those things I could never wrap my head around. So here we are, comparing different models from Matchmaking to see what kind of info can be extracted.

ExileDom.jpg

In almost every game type, Exile pulls through to be one of the best BTB maps in Halo 4. Dominion is no exception. Bravo is centrally located, while Alpha and Charlie lie relatively north of Bravo. This makes interaction between A&C segregated to long distances, if one were to stay in their respective base. All the junk in the Camp Site splits the sight lines from there.

The Bravo dilemma is implemented well due to pathways coming from both A&C, while still leaving southern and northern routes open to potentially fall back on. N and S routes have two distinct weaknesses.

The arching of the map permitted the addition of a safer A-C flank for infantry on the extents, while making vehicular travel more dangerous in this region due to its position in front of B. Up near where the Banshee spawns in Slayer, there is a sight line directly looking at B's terminal.

Conversely, south of B lies a relatively dead zone - great for vehicle travel and a tough time for infantry. For those who manage to get back there, the "Valley Lift" and back entrance to the Control Center provide ways of flanking and putting the pressure on Bravo.

I'll add these ones later...

LongbowDom.jpgMeltdownDom.jpgVortexDom.jpg

Reactions: IroKnee

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Exile is pretty decent for it, as is Vortex. Both have an asymmetical A/C layout and each base has different advantaged when going after B.

Longbow is pretty cool because A and C are close enough to where you can pull off an alpha/ charlie hold. Longbow is probably my favorite of the 3, it was really designed for Dominion but still plays good BTB when it's not swamped with tanks, banshees, gauss hogs, and shade turrets. Honestly, best Warthog map in Halo 4 and they completely remove that as an option.

Meltdown. Lol. No. Not bad for BTB, but not a Dominion map. Bases are so far back and so disconnected from Bravo, and Bravo doesn't even have a defendable building, it's a small hill under a bridge with some cover that just happens to block the driving circuit once fortified. Dominion feels forced, map is much better for CTF.

as for the DLC ones I haven't played enough of them to say, but I do remember there being a silly number of rocket launcher drops on Outcast. This is likely changed now with the new weapon drops.

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
as for the DLC ones I haven't played enough of them to say, but I do remember there being a silly number of rocket launcher drops on Outcast. This is likely changed now with the new weapon drops.
Didn't download Castle map pack, although Shatter was actually good on Dominion. Kinda odd how it's great at the two most uncommon competitive game types (Dom and Ext) but crap on everything else.

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
Didn't download Castle map pack, although Shatter was actually good on Dominion. Kinda odd how it's great at the two most uncommon competitive game types (Dom and Ext) but crap on everything else.
The extraction zones could be placed better on Shatter. The one in the middle is not bad, but the ones inside the dominion bases are very camp-able and are completely unable to be contested by vehicles. I didn't like those buildings in general for this reason. Outcast seemed okay besides the somewhat silly drops, but this has since been fixed across the board in Dominion.