What do you start with when forging

blaze1514

Novice
Jan 15, 2013
When you forge, what do you start with?

Example: Floor, walkways, walls, ect...

EDIT: to make this more interesting, tell us why you start with the pieces you do.

Wakko45

Kill-Steal Guru
Dec 30, 2012
I start with the floor that way I know I will have enough room and won't dip down into pre-existing geometry of the map.

blaze1514

Novice
Jan 15, 2013
I try to start with a what I am going to use as the wall, and then work my way around the map, then do the floor and finally the ceiling

Ormy96

Proficient
Jan 16, 2013
Somewhere in the UK.
Normally I start with an idea. And by choosing the area to build my map in. Also by building the floor if any is needed. I also normally use 4x4 flat to start making floors IDK why I do it I just do and I change it if I don't like it.

Shiralai

Emoticon Guru
Jan 13, 2013
I tend to start with the floor or boundaries of the map. Gives me perspective on what i'm doing.

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
I start playing with ideas I have for a unique play space or aesthetic, and work from there. Sometimes I go in with a bit of pre-planning, and I block everything out, then make passes over it, making small changes and refinements as I go. Sometimes I just load up forge and start messing around. For every idea I keep, I usually start and then scrap 10-15 ideas.

Reactions: iForge

iForge

Qualified
Jan 16, 2013
K-mart
I start playing with ideas I have for a unique play space or aesthetic, and work from there. Sometimes I go in with a bit of pre-planning, and I block everything out, then make passes over it, making small changes and refinements as I go. Sometimes I just load up forge and start messing around. For every idea I keep, I usually start and then scrap 10-15 ideas.
This is pretty much what I do.

Rev Righteous

Proficient

Same here as well. I start with whatever part is the main idea/object that gave me the idea. Maybe it's a central tower, maybe it's a route or path shape, maybe it's an idea for incorporating a part of the terrain. Most of the time I have to scrap it or start over, but I learn something every time.