Community Poll: Circles or Squares? Oh And Some Other Stuff

Which setup would you prefer best?

• Square avatars; Fixed NavBar (stays put at the top of the forum)

Votes: 27 42.9%
  • Square avatars; Sticky NavBar (moves with you as you scroll down)

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • Rounded avatars; Fixed NavBar (stays put at the top of the forum)

Votes: 23 36.5%
  • Rounded avatars; Sticky NavBar (moves with you as you scroll down)

Votes: 5 7.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
front-page-official-news-png.10654

Hello there! If you've been a part of HaloCustoms for more than 3 days, you'll have noticed a few small changes around the forums. Granted, it's no forum overhaul, but the changes are still worthy of discussion. And since there are mixed feelings aplenty regarding these changes, we figured we should get everyone in on the decision-making process. :)
So yea, there are only two main changes:
  • Change Number One - previously, the Navigation Bar at the top of the forum would move with you as you scroll down the page. But it's also been causing some issues on the mobile version, and some members complained about it always being in the way. So, we're trying out the "Fixed" NavBar right now, where it stays put at the top of the forum. Which do you prefer? Oh, and if you don't know what I mean by "NavBar," it's this:

ava3.png

• Change Number Two is plain and simple. The circle avatars of old have been replaced by the cutting-edge new square avatars. Which do you like better? Do you like 'em curvy? Or do you think circles are for squares?

If you need a reference, here are some pretty sreenshots for you, highlighted in red:
    ava1.png
    ava2.png

Again, this is entirely up to you guys. We'll leave this poll up for two weeks, and whichever option has the most votes at the end of it, that's what we'll go with! If you have any questions be sure to leave a comment. And uh, yea, that's about it. Ok byeeeee.

Reactions: H2AK0N
Not a big fan of the square avatars. When you have a rounded one, it doesn't really matter what kind of picture you're featuring anyway, because the edges will always look nice with such a circular shape. For instance, a logo like the BIOC one, or a picture of someonsomeone's face: both look better with a rounded surrounding imo.

Not a big fan of the square avatars. When you have a rounded one, it doesn't really matter what kind of picture you're featuring anyway, because the edges will always look nice with such a circular shape. For instance, a logo like the BIOC one, or a picture of someonsomeone's face: both look better with a rounded surrounding imo.
If you want it round just make it a round png image...

Agreed. Having square avatars can satisfy more people compared to circle ones. The people who want square avatars can have it by simply uploading their picture. As for those who want circular avatars, all they need to do is edit their avatar into a circle and have the rest of the picture transparent.

There are some more site side updates that need to happen. I will discuss the best time to do these with the team

When you scroll down there should be an easily accessible "back to the top" button or arrow. Maybe even follow in your screen? That might cause issues with mobile again

When you scroll down there should be an easily accessible "back to the top" button or arrow. Maybe even follow in your screen? That might cause issues with mobile again
There is one. Let me point it out to you:

TzuvQFU.png

Go ahead. Click it. I said click it. CLICK IT. CLICK DA BUTTON.

Yeah I understand that. But until we have one that follows us down the page (which I would find annoying), just use the scroll bar on the right side of the page. It can get you to the top very quickly ;)
There's no scroll bar on mobile, I see your point though

I MUUUCH prefer square avatars over circular avatars. After all, these are avatars, not heads. Since when did we upload circular images? It has always been square form. Less is cut from the pictures, and that is always a pro. I mean, after all, you selected the avatar to represent you.......

If I were to meet you in real life, I wouldn't exactly like my face missing 21.5% of it (Which is, after a quick calculation, the percentage of the image that is lost when you put a circular crop over it. This only happens if the circumference of the circle is the same as the height of the square - such that it fits perfectly in it - but that's the logical case here since if it was any larger than the square we'd have some weird invisible bits within the circle - that would make it uglier than it already is.)

It's a needless addition that limits the wants of the people who want it square - but having a square avatar doesn't stop it from being round.

I really don't mind whether the NavBar moves or not; my personal preference is that it doesn't simply because I'm used to sites like that. If it moves, that's fine with me; however, there are times when it has caused slight lag, especially since when scrolling it doesn't move perfectly and so looks a bit screen-tear-y, which isn't great.

If it decreases the issues faced when reaching this site while not on a laptop/computer's browser then I'm all the more for it.

Yea I can agree with you on that. Making the avatars any bigger with the current setup would get in the way of the message text, but something like this is doable. What do you guys think?

YedrwO7.png

Reactions: ♥ Sky
Dun like that, Dax. Its beginning to take away from what made Quark a little unique among other Xenforo styles. Unless Im missing a good reason behind scaling avatars, they should be left alone imo.

Dun like that, Dax. Its beginning to take away from what made Quark a little unique among other Xenforo styles. Unless Im missing a good reason behind scaling avatars, they should be left alone imo.
Exactly, if you're avatar needs to be bigger to look good then you don't have a good avatar.