Map Preview "Percy" - A First Look

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
9315179193_21b947b58d.jpg

Percy
A project by El Trocity & REMkings

Hello, and welcome to the first Map Preview of a new map shortly known by the illustrious name of "Percy", crafted by Elliot and myself, REMkings.
Percy is heavily based on the psychological thriller game "Alan Wake", in which you play as a writer, fighting 'the Darkness' that you yourself somehow created previously. In this game, you will find yourself located in the forest a lot, in which dark characters try to attack you. The way to stop them is by using any light sources you have at your disposal, such as a flashlight, and then finish them off with your handgun.

The Halo 4 Linear Progression map "Percy" works very similarly. It was built under the water surface of Forge Island, which made for the nice and scary dark foggy environment. Try and reach the safe locations that are indicated by a big yellow light, and watch the border of the lit up area to spot any zombies. Outside of these light areas, you take 3 hits, but inside of them you are much safer, as though whereas you can only take 2 hits, you will be given a motion sensor to track down zombies. Your health regenerates much faster too.
There are two light areas on the map, the second one followed by the final saferoom which will reward you with 50 points if you survive the round. Surviving on Percy is not easy though. As mentioned beforehand, zombies are invisible, and humans have no access to motion sensors when they're not inside of a light area. Teamwork is therefore recommended. If you can protect each other and guard all possible zombie approaching paths together, survival can be achieved.

You spawn over by the bus
Percy19_zpsc9cbd60a.jpg

Make your way to the forest, but keep looking up as zombies will drop down from the cliff
Percy8_zpsa9c14c99.jpg

At the first light area a crashed car can be found, which provides some sweet goodies in the trunk
Percy13_zps01726414.jpg

Keep an eye out: zombies could be anywhere outside of the light
Percy11banner_zpsdd1fb310.jpg

An overview of the first light area
Percy12_zps3645e60f.jpg

Debaytes trying to hug a zombie
Percy10_zps5782f97b.jpg

Master Debaytes, Ticky, Oasis Hurler, MMedina000, The 0micron, WARTHOGSZ, HardcoreTots, Charles Stoot, jason x 185, spartandude, STEELGREEN03, Dihex, Matt18

you were all present in the very first tests on this map. If you have any thoughts on the map or gametype, or just like to express your opinion down below, feel free to do so! It helps a lot.

Download “Who is... Percy?” – Beta .2 version of the map
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/.../details=99b741ac-19b8-48f9-b51c-d7644f516cb6

Download “Percy? Never heard of him...” – Beta .3 version of the map
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/fileshare/details/ea9bc4f6-5527-420e-8f7e-fd379416ec73

Download “Yours Truly, the Darkness" – Gametype (Updated)
Thank you for your time,
- REM​

Last edited:

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
I think I may actually remove the Damage Boost initial ordnance and instead use more frequent random ordnance drops. Furthermore, I completely forgot to add in something special in the map, so that'll have to be done later. And I forgot to tell you guys about the use of the cones...

I guess we'll save that for later, then. :p

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Updated the links to the map and gametype files. The new version of the map, Beta version .3, is called "Percy? Never heard of him..."

Here are some of the changes:

- The lights now die out (disappear) once the bridge spawns / the saferoom opens. This will indicate that it's time to move on because you're no longer safe here.
- A random ordnance drop has been added somewhere in the city (the section between the first and second light area). This provides either a Promethean Vision or a SAW, which both should prove very useful if you can grab them. However, the random drop is located in an unsafe location so make sure you know what you're doing if you're gonna go for it.
- A death teleporter has been added to the human spawn area, effectively eliminating any camping players. (Not that it would've helped staying there anyway.)
- An extra hidden weapon was added somewhere along the way.

Reactions: Zandril

Ticky

Expert
Jan 15, 2013
Yeah man this map is bananas. I had a blast with it and the light areas are truly creative. If the humans were more cooperative, eh em, we may have gotten to see the entire map.

I wanna play it again with those new changes you made!

Reactions: REMkings

Dihex

Novice
Very nice map, but the game type should be two hit flood.
Updated the links to the map and gametype files. The new version of the map, Beta version .3, is called "Percy? Never heard of him..."

Here are some of the changes:

- The lights now die out (disappear) once the bridge spawns / the saferoom opens. This will indicate that it's time to move on because you're no longer safe here.
- A random ordnance drop has been added somewhere in the city (the section between the first and second light area). This provides either a Promethean Vision or a SAW, which both should prove very useful if you can grab them. However, the random drop is located in an unsafe location so make sure you know what you're doing if you're gonna go for it.
- A death teleporter has been added to the human spawn area, effectively eliminating any camping players. (Not that it would've helped staying there anyway.)
- An extra hidden weapon was added somewhere along the way.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Very nice map, but the game type should be two hit flood.
I disagree. The fact that you do not have a motion sensor, but do have a waypoint above your head, makes it very easy on the zombies to sneak up on you and attack you by surprise. A smart pack of zombies can easily kill a human together that way. I've seen it happen to myself in the second game we played (I noticed you weren't there anymore, unfortunately) but in that game two zombies attacked me together and they infected me with ease, because the other humans couldn't react in time.
Furthermore, there is in fact a two hit kill inside of the light areas, but the fact that this time you DO have a radar, makes it once more all the more balanced.

I think you should try and play the map again a second time and see for yourself that it's really not that hard for the zombies to get kills, especially after the changes I made.

Dihex

Novice
Sounds great, I remember the lit up areas to be more leaned for the humans but it looks as if you counteracted that and balanced it out. If you are going to be on tonight would be great to have another run at the map.

Dihex

Novice
Sounds great, I remember the lit up areas to be more leaned for the humans but it looks as if you counteracted that and balanced it out. If you are going to be on tonight would be great to have another run at the map.

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have any time to play for the next couple of days, but this weekend I'm down for testing again for sure!

Feb 25, 2013
Looks cool. I tried to make an Alan Wake map way way back but I couldn't make it work. It also reminds me of something me and Shadow Kryptiic tried to do where zombies are only visible in light "safe havens". We couldn't get the game type to work properly though.

I've been waiting for an Alan Wake game type/map. Too bad I just ran out of Gold! :mad:

Reactions: Shadow KryPTiiC

REMkings

BIOC Leader, Flood Guru
Jan 1, 2013
Looks cool. I tried to make an Alan Wake map way way back but I couldn't make it work. It also reminds me of something me and Shadow Kryptiic tried to do where zombies are only visible in light "safe havens". We couldn't get the game type to work properly though.

I've been waiting for an Alan Wake game type/map. Too bad I just ran out of Gold! :mad:
We tried this map in Reach as well, on multiple canvases, but it always failed because of the fact that Safe Havens only apply to human players. This whole project is something that has actually been in the years for about 2 years now. With the Forge Island Underwater Glitch and the Plague gametype, we were finally able to hit that sweet spot.
I'm glad you like the concept! Hope you can get some Gold soon. :)

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Something freaky is going on with the links. I don't know if it's me or the links. When you click on the link, the url gets broken in the new tab. Some of the words and slashes that should be in the url disappears. But when you look at the links from the OP, everything looks fine. I don't know if it's just me.

Can't download anything

EDIT: Never mind. I manually fixed the url to download the files. Still getting the same problem though.