1v1/2v2 Forge Maps Discussion

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
So, I'm always looking to discuss small competitive maps, and I believe there are enough of you guys here looking to do the same, so I figured a thread dedicated solely to discussion of 1v1/2v2 maps could be beneficial. This is going to be a very wide-ranging thread, covering any and all aspects relating to 1v1/2v2 forge discussion. Anyone and everyone is encouraged to ask questions, provide insight, or give general feedback!

General ideas for discussion topics in this thread:
  • Questions on how to go about designing 1v1/2v2 competitive maps
  • Discussion of general ideas in terms of a map's layout
  • Pictures of a work-in-progress looking for some critique
  • Discussion on what weapons/powerups work best for 1v1/2v2 maps

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
  • Discussion on what weapons/powerups work best for 1v1/2v2 maps

In reference to my findings, I cannot stress enough that one must be mindful of the distances between spots on their maps. Although competetive maps should not cater to the full-auto weapons or explosives, a diverse competetive map will make every weapon choice applicable in certain cirumstances. Making such maps is not my forte, but if you know the nature of weaponry, it'll be a whole lot easier to apply those concepts.

Oh, and one might want to consider having preset loadouts instead of customs. That can make Armor Abilities, CQC weapons, secondaries, and even grenades open to scavenge throughout the map.

Auburn

#hawt
Jan 11, 2013
Missouri
So, teleporters. I think it would be good to give some insight on the possible negatives of using those in small team oriented designs.

Also, why is Sanctuary the best 1v1 map ever?

Also, I threw this together real quick earlier. Pretty simple 2v2, I'll take any feedback, though. If somebody else wants to forge, feel free. It's obviously not to scale, hahaha. The inclines are those little squares with arrows pointing in the direction they go upwards. P are power weapon spawns. I was thinking three stackable Railguns in the outer rooms and a dropdown OS in the center.
IMG_0395_zpsfd4145d1.jpg

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
Why is Sanctuary the best 1v1 map ever should definitely be a bullet. We could get some halo pros to talk about why it's more competitive than all of those other maps..

Nice to see this thread coming over here :)

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
Oh, and one might want to consider having preset loadouts instead of customs. That can make Armor Abilities, CQC weapons, secondaries, and even grenades open to scavenge throughout the map.

Definitely agree with this. Having customizable loadouts deflates a lot of the emphasis of weapon pick-ups on map, which is a big part of 1v1/2v2s in Halo. It also opens up more creativity with AA pickups as well.

So, teleporters. I think it would be good to give some insight on the possible negatives of using those in small team oriented designs.[/spoiler]

Ayyee, teleporters :p
I used to be in love with the idea of teleporters, but the more I try to work with them the less I like them, at least for smaller maps. I know they can be pulled off very well, but a lot of thought has to be put into how they affect movement around the map. A majority of the times I've seen them used (including my own maps), it seems to take you to a random location just for the sake of connectivity.

Why is Sanctuary the best 1v1 map ever should definitely be a bullet. We could get some halo pros to talk about why it's more competitive than all of those other maps..

Very good discussion topic! Now if only we can get some Halo pros in here...

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
I've just recently become interestid in forging small maps. My main focus in Reach was 4v4, but I've found it's a whole lot easier to find people to test a 2v2. :p I think that since 2v2 tends to be slightly more competitive balance is very important. When I was making Annex I was inspired by Ivory Tower. The top of annex is clearly a powerful location, but I made about half a dozen routes up there to challenge players who are trying to hold it, and the only weapon that spawns there is a shotgun, which is essentially useless in that part of the map. So the top of the map is where most of the combat is, but there's plenty of ways around the map to try and flank players who are up there, or you can avoid the area entirely and go after players who are focused on making their way up. Annex is my first 2v2 map, and making it has taught me a whole lot about 2v2, and forging in general.

But enough about me! Dax also has a very fine 2v2 called Ciela, and Behemoth has put out a trio of quality small maps in the Commerce Map Pack. If you're looking for examples of quality small maps, that's a good place to start.