A very sad day indeed

Matt6498

Qualified
Jan 9, 2013
Miami - Magic City
Last night i went to go download a ton of maps form HaloForgeEpidemic, team0epiphany, and a ton of other places. I downloaded them and went to go see the maps. All the maps were duplicated, including older maps i had. I proceeded to delete the duplicates but my halo was being glitchy so i just dashboarded. I start up halo 4 and go to forge and all the maps that i deleted duplicated from, had disappeared. what really happend was the duplicates were just glitches in the game and i deleted the actual maps. I lost community maps and my own, hard worked maps as well. This isnt the first time halo 4 has glitched my maps. Another time, some of my maps were just randomly replaced with other maps i had, there name, description, and actual physical map were changed but the date of last visit was the actual date i worked on the map. Im starting to loose hope in forging....

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
oh no! sadly, that glitch has been around since reach, maybe even before. i had to learn the hard way myself, when this happens, DO NOT delete the duplicates, they'll go away, they're technically not there. I had Erosion save over a Ravine last week, another glitch that has been around for a while :(

also i moved this to forge discussion, to warn other forgers of this glitch. i wish they'd just patch em already...

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
thats really unfortunate that that happened to you... but chuck is right, this glitch has been around since Reach and most forgers have just gotten used to it / learned to ignore the duplicates. its always a good idea to not delete things and save multiple copies. things can go wrong and files can corrupt, just like on any computer.

Dividing MDH

Adept
Feb 2, 2013
Australia
ohhh yeah, I remember in Reach and in Halo 3 this happened to me and my friends, luckily though I didn't delete anything too impactful, but enough to make me rage quit.

Matt6498

Qualified
Jan 9, 2013
Miami - Magic City
this has never happend to me and ive never even heard of it, ive been forging since halo 3! lol but i thought posting this would helpful and im thankful that it will be!

iws27

Adept
Jan 10, 2013
Requium
I had a downloaded map and ragnorak saved over it! Not only on the map selection, but the map itself! How do I fix this? It's been the same for days!

DavidJCobb

Novice
Feb 3, 2013
I had a downloaded map and ragnorak saved over it! Not only on the map selection, but the map itself! How do I fix this? It's been the same for days!
Unfortunately, you can't, but you can avoid this bug in the future.

Whenever you're in a Forge session, never use the "Save" option. Always use "Save as New", and delete unwanted older versions of maps later on. If there are others in your Forge session, make sure they also follow this advice, if they plan on saving anything, as I've heard of the bug affecting all present players whenever any one of them uses "Save".

(Honestly, I don't know why they don't just take "Save" out of the menu. :\ It wouldn't be too large a drop in usability, and it would be consistent with the clunkiness of other file-editing menus.)

PandaMan

Master
Jan 24, 2013
California
plug.dj
Aw man, I'm sorry, I'm sure that your new maps will be even better. And I'm positive that it won't happen again.

Good luck though.

Some of these glitches are getting a little ridiculous though.