Competitive Asunder

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
Asunder (version 2.0) - Warthogs and Ghosts run wild in this competitive BTB map designed for CTF.

Asunder is a large, competitive map designed from the ground up for big team CTF.

View attachment 6365

The map shares a lot of elements with the classic "figure eight" design. Some of my favorite moments in Halo history have been the epic Warthog runs that dominate CTF play. As each team spawns with a pair of chaingun 'Hogs, those runs are encouraged here.

View attachment 6366

Teams spawn near their base with the aforementioned 'Hogs, another pair of Ghosts, and an...

Read more about this map...

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
The screenshots make me feel like it's just a tad too flat and open in areas. I haven't looked at it in forge so this isn't an entirely credible assumption, but that's just my initial impression. You should take a peak at Pa1nts' Tyrene Boulevard for another look at a figure 8 map.

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
Thanks for your input! It certainly is too flat and open in certain places, and that's a result of the island itself being so... large and flat. I've maxed out the budget to create such large bases that take up most of this massive island, and there is more cover than there appears to be at first glance. If you look at it in forge, hopefully you will see that the lack of elevation changes in the natural terrain isn't as bad as it looks in these screenshots. I plan on conducting several playthroughs in the future, so we will see if the flat, open areas are TOO flat and open to consider this as a well-playing map.

I'm a big fan of Pa1nts' forge work, including Tyrene Blvd where he uses a lot of his own terrain in addition to the natural elevation on Impact to great effect. My intent was to use the entirety of the largest Forge Island, which is almost too big to be able to add artificial elevation (while avoiding using dozens of Wall, Coliseums).

The open flatness is hopefully more of an aesthetic problem than a gameplay problem.
Like I said before, I hope you get the chance to fly around it in forge, or even try a custom match on it to see if I successfully worked around those issues.

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
RegrettedKarma, you called it. We played a game of CTF on this map and it was close to unplayable, for a few reasons that can be labelled as shoddy forging and perhaps being a bit too optimistic in my endeavor to create a map using ALL of the big island. Although it seemed like it was scaled well enough for BTB, it's too large for any amount of players that Halo 4 can allow. I'll have to go back to the drawing board in a big way on this map, as I feel the basic layout has potential. Maybe I'll try it on a smaller Forge island.

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
Well, apparently it's unneccesarily massive, and unfortunately, it plays that way. Since you're curious though, I do have an overview of an earlier edit of the map:

ASU6.jpg

Reactions: Rabid MidgetMan

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
Rodan117 updated Asunder with a new update entry:

Asunder 2.0

Asunder has been completely rebuilt from the ground up on a smaller island to address some of the glaring issues that were found in it's first playtest. Although I was optimistic about the premise of Asunder, playing a customs match on it recently was an eye-opening experience that humbled me greatly as a forger. But that convinced me to start over. I think this version is a true "spiritual successor" and should make for some really fun matches.

View attachment 6467...

Read the rest of this update entry...