Controversial Topics

This a thread to talk about your opinions and beliefs about many things. Any thing from death to religion to politics.
Also if you are gonna be hostile to people saying what they think:

Please remember to be polite enough and to speak freely.
So let's begin, where?

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I cannot see vids or pics on my work PC but I will check this thread out later. I am more Gnostic, though I do understand and approciate both Theist and Atheist points of view.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
Yeah banks got away with alot, but what else is new? lol.

I must admit I got out of a bad mortgage with nothing out of my pocket because HSBC screwed it up and I decided to go the foreclosure route at the right time during the height of the "crisis".

Now, IMO, if you want to talk nonsences, the "crisis" of the recent recesion was completely media and socially induced. 70s and 1990 area was much worse.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
How about the recent gun control controversy, any takers

I really hate topics such as these because, in truth, 90% (random number) of people really agree on most every issue. It is the special interest, lobbyists, and people who make the money that make us feel divided in contrived details.

That said, I would assert that "90%" of people have no problem with a ban of military style assault weapons and high capicty clips. Anyone who thinks a couple AK-47s or M-16s are going to keep them safe from some fictional paranoid military invasion of their homes is out of their mind. Not to mention that 99% of all military personel are hardcore gun advocates and 2nd ammendment supporters. There is a better chance of aliens landing and taking your guns.

I personally support the ban (that we already once had and expired under Bush Jr.) currently presented by the President. The only reason to own these things is to "feel cool" and "just because you can". Well speeding and drunk driving are no different, and just as potentially reckless and deadly to yourself, your loved ones, and the public in general.

My .02

Reactions: TravisTheShadow

TravisTheShadow

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Virginia
How about the recent gun control controversy, any takers
I think what they're doing is stupid. My idea for this problem? Military grade psyche exams for anybody that wants to purchase "assault" weapons. Now, no offense to any veterans out there that have been in conflicts, but this idea does include you, if for no other reason than because of PTSD.

Reactions: CO BOARDERS

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I think what they're doing is stupid. My idea for this problem? Military grade psyche exams for anybody that wants to purchase "assault" weapons. Now, no offense to any veterans out there that have been in conflicts, but this idea does include you, if for no other reason than because of PTSD.

I agree that would probably solve a good chunk of the gun violence in America, but it will never happen due to the cost of such a program, and the deeper cut into the 2nd amendment rights.

CoreKeyblade

Proficient
Jan 18, 2013
Britain, England
Just bringing my views on the gun ban to the debate :)
Personally, I feel Obama's in a tough situation, as whichever option he goes for I feel he'l be creating unnecessary unpopularity for himself. I feel America's access to guns isn't as much of a problem as its views on guns. I feel there very relaxed views and some consider them toys or objects to be used at ones leisure, not a device that is capable if doing great harm.
If people are going to commit a massacre, then a gun ban isn't going to stop them.
It's stupidly hard to get access to guns here in Britain, yet mass shootings still occur occasionally. From what i know Canada has similar laws on guns as America yet hasn't apparently had a major gun crime in 20 years. It's the way people are raised around them,
Not the access to it itself.

blaze1514

Novice
Jan 15, 2013
I really hate topics such as these because, in truth, 90% (random number) of people really agree on most every issue. It is the special interest, lobbyists, and people who make the money that make us feel divided in contrived details.

That said, I would assert that "90%" of people have no problem with a ban of military style assault weapons and high capicty clips. Anyone who thinks a couple AK-47s or M-16s are going to keep them safe from some fictional paranoid military invasion of their homes is out of their mind. Not to mention that 99% of all military personel are hardcore gun advocates and 2nd ammendment supporters. There is a better chance of aliens landing and taking your guns.

I personally support the ban (that we already once had and expired under Bush Jr.) currently presented by the President. The only reason to own these things is to "feel cool" and "just because you can". Well speeding and drunk driving are no different, and just as potentially reckless and deadly to yourself, your loved ones, and the public in general.

My .02
The reason we have those weapons is because in the the Constitution (the supreme law of America), it states that our citizens should be just as able to get weapons as the military.

So I'm all for it if they can change it in Constitution. It is possible. Until then I see it as the government braking its own laws

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
The reason we have those weapons is because in the the Constitution (the supreme law of America), it states that our citizens should be just as able to get weapons as the military.

So I'm all for it if they can change it in Constitution. It is possible. Until then I see it as the government braking its own laws

I can see and appreciate that point. Unfortuntly I do not think that any of this current day either pros or cons were ever envisioned at that time. Likely the true story line and dilemma of the early 21st century.

PS. What is the in the constitution about turrets rocket launchers and tanks???

TravisTheShadow

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Virginia
What is the in the constitution about turrets rocket launchers and tanks???
Civilians can't purchase "turrets rocket launchers and tanks" contrary to popular opinion, assault weapons aren't fully automatic, they're semi-auto. Meaning you can keep pulling the trigger or put it in bursts. Yes, it's unneeded, but banning them isn't going stop the bad guys from getting them.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
Civilians can't purchase "turrets rocket launchers and tanks" contrary to popular opinion, assault weapons aren't fully automatic, they're semi-auto. Meaning you can keep pulling the trigger or put it in bursts. Yes, it's unneeded, but banning them isn't going stop the bad guys from getting them.

I disagree to an extent as we have not defined what a bad guy is. Is a husband who goes into a jealous rage and kills his wife a bad guy or did hebecome a bad guy through use of the gun? Would she still be alive if he did not have access to a gun?

If a bullied kid has to either fight with his fists or wits a good guy? Is the one who can get his dads shotgun to go to school and kill his bullies a bad guy? What is the differenece?

TravisTheShadow

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Virginia
I disagree to an extent as we have not defined what a bad guy is. Is a husband who goes into a jealous rage and kills his wife a bad guy or did hebecome a bad guy through use of the gun? Would she still be alive if he did not have access to a gun?

If a bullied kid has to either fight with his fists or wits a good guy? Is the one who can get his dads shotgun to go to school and kill his bullies a bad guy? What is the differenece?
I have no rebutle for that. You have a valid point my friend.

CoreKeyblade

Proficient
Jan 18, 2013
Britain, England

The difference is morality my freind, if a person kills for selfish reasons such as money or personal gain, I'd consider them "a bad guy" as would most people, self defence however is a different matter, If a person is acting in self defence, then generally, there desire is not to kill, just to ward the attacker from doing it again (such as a confrontation with a school bully) the death of the offender is normally due to there own ignorance.
MODERN soldiers are a good example of, they use guns everyday, however they never fire unless ether fired upon, or if a target is confirmed threat to themselves then others. They always try to take alive if nessasary (hell they where willing to take bin-laden alive!) they only kill if given no other option...