File Shares are Online!

hc-coolstuff.jpg

Finally! It's true! After four months of having to painstakingly surf through Halo 4's in-game file searching menu to download our favorite custom content, we finally have our good 'ole file browsing system back on Waypoint!

That's right. I can hear your left thumbstick rejoicing right now. No more tedious scrolling through the letters and numbers of the dreaded Xbox Live keyboard to find oXxSn1p3Rxx5k1llzxX's newest map, only to realize you mistakenly clicked on the Gametype search bar.

Happy_gif.gif
Because if your left thumbstick had a face, it would look like Simon Cowell.

Granted, things are just a little bit different this time around. While it's not as simple to download files as it was back in the days of Halo 3 or Reach, it's still much more convenient than it has been these past four months. Read on, my dear HaloCustomians, to figure out how to use this new File Browsing system for Halo 4.

I've got some cool custom content I want to share on HaloCustoms. What should I do differently now?

Assuming the map/gametype/etc. is already on your Fileshare, go to HaloWaypoint.com and click on your name in the top right corner; that'll bring you to your player profile. From there, just select the File Share tab and bam! You've got a link to your personal Fileshare. Clicking on a specific file bring ups a window that displays some info for that file. Now it's time to copy that URL and start sharing it with others! Be sure to include these links in all your map and gametype threads to provide your file-browsing friends with the easiest of easy access.

I found some super awesome content I want to download, but I'm worried that I'll forget this member's gamertag later on. What should I do?

Well, hopefully now you'll start being provided with Waypoint links to the member's Fileshare. Whenever you click on said link, you'll see an "Add File" button for each file. This is similar to the "Download" button from Halo 3 and Reach, but it's not quite the same. Instead of downloading the file directly to your hard drive next time you get on Xbox Live, the "Add File" button sends the file to your own personal Fileshare. So, next time you get on Halo, you'll have to go into your own Fileshare, download the new file, and then go back and delete it from your Fileshare. It's a little confusing, sure, but I'd say it's a lot better than what we've been doing!

Now that these options are available for us, we strongly encourage everyone to start posting a download link to their custom content. It'll make things run a lot smoother around here. And you guys know I like it smooth, right? Smooth as... pudding.

Well, I would've liked for the same setup as previous file sharing systems, but it's better than nothing.

OH YES! OH BOY! Seriously, I'm all giddy like a wee schoolgirl.

Also, add this so people know, to get a direct link to your own file, you have to click on your file in the file share, then in the pop-up box, click the "email" icon to the right into a new tab/window. In this new tab/window, scroll to the end of the address bar and copy the URL (after "Cool Stuff:") at the end of it. You now have a direct link to your file.

Also, add this so people know, to get a direct link to your own file, you have to click on your file in the file share, then in the pop-up box, click the "email" icon to the right into a new tab/window. In this new tab/window, scroll to the end of the address bar and copy the URL (starting with http://) at the end of it. You now have a direct link to your file.

You can actually just copy the new URL once you click on the file and the pop-up window opens up. I actually thought the same thing though, until Lights showed me this method. :)

Reactions: Shore Jesus
now we don't have to rely on the horizon method to extract screenshots from our profiles
Agreed. That method was too tedious. I know its nothing too hard, but there were enough steps that kept me procrastinating from posting screenshots to my maps for weeks.

Stumped on how to get there on the mobile version.

*Searched for Halo Waypoint TurbTastic on google and found it

Is it possible to view the number of downloads? I will be completely irate if not!

Great, it's finally here! Time to update all of the descriptions for my youtube videos to now include the download links. Off to work I go!

Reactions: Titmar
The problem i'm having is I've had a ton of maps backed up in a favorites folder in Youtube of map from THFE and now that file sharing is finally up and running, I'm wanting to download them all at once. I tried this and got most of the way through before an error message saying that I'd reached my limit on downloads. Do you either know how to fix this, why it happens, or if it resets daily?

The problem i'm having is I've had a ton of maps backed up in a favorites folder in Youtube of map from THFE and now that file sharing is finally up and running, I'm wanting to download them all at once. I tried this and got most of the way through before an error message saying that I'd reached my limit on downloads. Do you either know how to fix this, why it happens, or if it resets daily?
This time around files are added to your fileshare, not downloaded to your Xbox. You have to go in to Halo 4 and download/delete from your FS, which is capped at 25. It's a little different, but still functional. After you free up the space in your FS you can download more files. Hope this helps.

I still don't see why they decide to do that. The process offers no real benefits and it takes longer and takes up space on your own file share. I need to stop trying to follow their logic, it makes my head hurt.

Seems like these are our options:

1. Give a nice clean link to file share
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/players/turbtastic/halo4/fileshare

2. Give a completely ridiculous looking link that goes to all maps
https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/...Date=7&SortBy=2&view-select=Tile&startIndex=0

3. Give a somewhat ridiculous looking link that goes to a specific map
http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/g.../details/94edadd8-070f-4785-8e0b-5c2113c1cd9b

Let me know if I'm missing something useful.

**Looks like halocustoms only shows the first 40 characters or so, but might not be so fortunate with other sites**

They don't use logic, just derp.
Obviously Microsoft pushed this game to release before it was ready. Microsoft had a massive ad campaign with Forward Unto Dawn and all the television commercials. This game should have been pushed back but the pressure from Microsoft was too much for 343, a company created only for the purpose of Halo.