Gold Hosts Q and A

Tomtris

Master
Feb 1, 2013
And I guess Since I'm a Role model, I guess I'll throw out my words of wisdom.

A.TRY TO FIND A NICHE!!!
With everyone hosting "Variety" lobbies everywhere, you need to find a reason to come too you! Do something no one else is doing! You have to stand out, or you wont be noticed.

B. Layout matters!
Lots of people that come here may not know how to rsvp, or maybe they want to know what maps your playing, or and simple set of rules to keep people in check. But before that, you should start with a title. Try something Professional and Informational.
"Tomtris's Daily Raceways"
1. The name of the host. "But that's obvious!" Well it also creates a sense of ownership. Its the brand the Tomtris owns, and you know its mine. Tomtris's... He owns that lobby!
2. This simple tell you right from the title that its daily, and you can join every day, or if you cant join today, it will be there tomorrow. Its puts in their head with the title, that I can join again Tomorrow, or the next day.
3. If you're a hardcore flood kind of guy, this is not your lobby, and you know this! You won't ask to play flood (If you actually RSVP'd) and you wont ask to play competitive. The people know exactly what brand of Custom games you are, and they look forward to that, no matter what it is!

Also, if you want people to think you're professional, put an avatar on the site. Not many are going to pay attention to just another schmeef avatar!

Now if you are writing a Lobby description
A. Take some reference!
Here's some references from the Gold hosts themselves:
iSpiteful
A J YUSI
Tomtris
Spades N AZ
And In my personal opinion, these are NECESSITIES for laying out:
- What you play, Maps, Etc. (Tell them what you play!)
- Rules (Trolls will troll, Reinforce the rules!)

These 2 are almost required, and not having them can only cause frustration.

-I'll add more later :)-

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
And not a week after Charles stoot, we have a new Gold host!
Congratulations go out to AM3R1CAN MUSCLE!

G
Let's keep the thread on topic Tomtris. The gold host can message me with what they want to be posted so that this thread is about the community, their questions, and our answers. Let's not fill it with unrelated topics.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
I started with my friends and relied on them to spread the word. It took some time but after about 3 months it was consistently full. It's marketing 101 strategies that will pay off here. Don't try to do it solo, ask for help. Your true friends will help you out. Then also make room on your friends list for those who make the effort to support you and show up. They will be key to filling future lobby's.
I hear you there I do just that.

Reactions: NinetysBorn

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Here's Some Very Useful And Quick Tips:
The quality of your custom games essentially come down to one factor, the maps you play. Deciding what maps to use and what order to play them in, can either kill or save a lobby.

1) The Map You Start On Will Make People Leave Or Excited To Play More
In my custom games, I always start off with boogeyman on netherden (slender). It's a "scary" custom game almost forcing people to communicate with one another (whether through talking about how scared they are or by screaming into the mic). A great ice breaker. It's also a very simple map to play on. You practically do nothing and still have tons of fun! These are called lobby starters, perfect maps for starting lobbies. Usually minigames are all great lobby starters.

2) Let Your Players Get Comfortable With Each Game By Playing Similar Maps Back To Back
1. Lobby Starter (minigame)
2. Lobby Starter (minigame)
3. Flood
4. Flood
5. Competitive
6. Competitive
7. Race
8. Race
etc. etc.
3) Get To Know Your Team Mates
I know it might be hard sometimes to stick your neck out, especially if you or your co-players are naturally just quiet/shy, but it makes your lobbies that much more worthwhile. That much more interesting and inviting. It's easy to just sit back and talk to your own buddies, but a good host welcomes all.

4) Save Your Worst For Last
You always want to encourage your party members to stay by playing on your most fun maps first! As soon as your lobby starts, bring out the best of the best! Show off some of the best, most fun maps you ever played on. Then slowly bring down the adrenaline, maybe test out a few beta maps, and then end on a good note.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
Here's Some Very Useful And Quick Tips:
The quality of your custom games essentially come down to one factor, the maps you play. Deciding what maps to use and what order to play them in, can either kill or save a lobby.

1) The Map You Start On Will Make People Leave Or Excited To Play More
In my custom games, I always start off with boogeyman on netherden (slender). It's a "scary" custom game almost forcing people to communicate with one another (whether through talking about how scared they are or by screaming into the mic). A great ice breaker. It's also a very simple map to play on. You practically do nothing and still have tons of fun! These are called lobby starters, perfect maps for starting lobbies. Usually minigames are all great lobby starters.

2) Let Your Players Get Comfortable With Each Game By Playing Similar Maps Back To Back
1. Lobby Starter (minigame)
2. Lobby Starter (minigame)
3. Flood
4. Flood
5. Competitive
6. Competitive
7. Race
8. Race
etc. etc.
3) Get To Know Your Team Mates
I know it might be hard sometimes to stick your neck out, especially if you or your co-players are naturally just quiet/shy, but it makes your lobbies that much more worthwhile. That much more interesting and inviting. It's easy to just sit back and talk to your own buddies, but a good host welcomes all.

4) Save Your Worst For Last
You always want to encourage your party members to stay by playing on your most fun maps first! As soon as your lobby starts, bring out the best of the best! Show off some of the best, most fun maps you ever played on. Then slowly bring down the adrenaline, maybe test out a few beta maps, and then end on a good note.

Wait...You said save your worst maps for last, and then at the end of the paragraph you say end on a good note? I'm confused.

Also, the maps you put on don't really make or break your lobby. I run testing lobbies and there's always a full lobby of players who are down to playtest new maps for hours, no matter the quality of the map. If you find the right people, they should be willing to give feedback on the map, not just quit because it's not the most popular minigame ever. I'm very open to suggestions when it comes to selecting a map. I try to let the lobby decide what we play, it makes them feel alot more involved. With testing lobbies, it doesn't really matter if a bad map goes on, the people in the lobby actually tend to stick around because not only can they provide feedback but it makes them want to put on more maps after the match. Example: I promote person A to leader. Person A puts on a flood map, but it doesn't play so well. By that time, Person B and C are already asking if they can playtest their flood maps. It's a neverending lobby almost. I suppose my strategy is different than yours, but I'm just saying, not everyone quits because of a bad map. Some people are here to get involved, and not just for their own personal enjoyment.

Reactions: Spades N AZ

Yay I Lost

Adept
Feb 23, 2013
I might be the 10th gold host maybe? :/
Besides that, I like the thread. Really awesome idea spadez. I've always been completely open to helping out our fellow community members and I'd be happy to answer some questions :)
10. NinetysBorn does the best of everything if you add me on the list this could be the description maybe?
AM3R1CAN MUSCLE was the 10th I think. sorry man. I'm pretty sure I was before you too.

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Wait...You said save your worst maps for last, and then at the end of the paragraph you say end on a good note? I'm confused.

Also, the maps you put on don't really make or break your lobby. I run testing lobbies and there's always a full lobby of players who are down to playtest new maps for hours, no matter the quality of the map. If you find the right people, they should be willing to give feedback on the map, not just quit because it's not the most popular minigame ever. I'm very open to suggestions when it comes to selecting a map. I try to let the lobby decide what we play, it makes them feel alot more involved. With testing lobbies, it doesn't really matter if a bad map goes on, the people in the lobby actually tend to stick around because not only can they provide feedback but it makes them want to put on more maps after the match. Example: I promote person A to leader. Person A puts on a flood map, but it doesn't play so well. By that time, Person B and C are already asking if they can playtest their flood maps. It's a neverending lobby almost. I suppose my strategy is different than yours, but I'm just saying, not everyone quits because of a bad map. Some people are here to get involved, and not just for their own personal enjoyment.
Save your worst maps for last and end on a good note. I meant say your farewells, thank you's, good nights, etc. You could also save ONE good map for the very end too if you wanted. Ultimately this is just my tip to you, though. I'm sure there's quite a few different ways to create an awesome custom games lobby. When I was writing down these tips I had long lasting lobbies in mind, by the way. If you could just play awesome maps during your entire lobby then, by all means, do so. In 6 to 7 hour lobbies though, we usually don't have that option.

For the second part of your comment, of course it works because you are using a gimmick. You are staying true to the theme of your lobby, which is map testing. You said you would test out maps your entire lobby, so of course everyone is going to stay because that's what they signed up for. My tips might not apply to you because you aren't really hosting custom games. You are hosting like a debug/ feedback lobby. Not to say that your lobbies aren't tons of fun because I'm sure they are.

Reactions: Spades N AZ

Yay I Lost

Adept
Feb 23, 2013
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's right too :/ Well I just had to make sure. Either way, congratulations to all gold hosts! When more hosts become golden, we should all sit down some day and make a golden host only lobby :) Pass around helpful tips to one another and chill out with some other good hosts :)
That would be pretty cool.

Reactions: NinetysBorn

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
It's about helping people improve their maps. I've had 6 or 7 hour lobbies trust me. But once you've played the maps on your drive what's the point in recycling them on a weekly or daily schedule. That's why I do testing. It's kind of outlandish to say that map testing is not custom games. It is. I have a large group of friends who do it every day. For me, It's not about finding and compiling the maps for everyone to play, it's more about being involved and learning the map making process in and out. So people have new content to offer. Hope you get where i'm coming from.

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
I am not adding anymore GOLD HOST until they can do it right. quit filling this thread with SPAM. If you want to be added then send a pm. I thunk it's to confuzzled for some to figure out. This is not about you, GOLD HOST, it's about helping the others who are trying to reach GOLD HOST. Thank you everyone for the good feedback that you are giving others. Those who just post random crap to make their own perception of themselves get bigger, remember it's just a title.

PA1NTS

Master
Jan 1, 2013
I am not adding anymore GOLD HOST until they can do it right. quit filling this thread with SPAM. If you want to be added then send a pm. I thunk it's to confuzzled for some to figure out. This is not about you, GOLD HOST, it's about helping the others who are trying to reach GOLD HOST. Thank you everyone for the good feedback that you are giving others. Those who just post random crap to make their own perception of themselves get bigger, remember it's just a title.

This.

Gold Hosts: amidoingitrite?

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
It's about helping people improve their maps. I've had 6 or 7 hour lobbies trust me. But once you've played the maps on your drive what's the point in recycling them on a weekly or daily schedule. That's why I do testing. It's kind of outlandish to say that map testing is not custom games. It is. I have a large group of friends who do it every day. For me, It's not about finding and compiling the maps for everyone to play, it's more about being involved and learning the map making process in and out. So people have new content to offer. Hope you get where i'm coming from.
Yup, likewise. I mean, of course, what you're doing is custom games. Someone could host a non-stop lobby with infinity slayer on exile and that's basically custom games too. That's why I said though they "aren't really... custom games." It probably would be more appropriate to say, your lobbies aren't exactly what I had in mind when I think of custom games. Map testing is a vital part of custom games. Hopefully you understand where I'm coming from, as well. By the way, thank you for the insight on your custom games.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
I want to re-like this even if Like is in that war we had earlier Spades.

Charles Stoot

Master
Jan 13, 2013
Maine
www.youtube.com
I do and I am on the other side though I complete agree with you I am the host that Plays all the classics that every one loves. :)

Spades N AZ

Master
Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
PA1NTS I understand where you are coming from. I too feel like I am constantly helping others test maps and giving feedback. Customs will not and do not exist without these types of players willing to help the Halo community. thanks PA1NTS for what you do. If you turned all of your testing lobby's into RSVP lobbys you would rise quickly to GOLD HOST.

Also to those who have reached GOLD HOST and would like to offer advice and tricks to the community then just PM me your description and I will add you.

Reactions: Warrior Chair

Yay I Lost

Adept
Feb 23, 2013
I got some advice here, since this is what this thread is made for. Probably #1. Rule for becoming a Gold Host is not begging and crying to other people to rate you, If they want to rate you good then thats great. If you start bickering to everyone to rate you good nonstop then GUARANTEED someone is gonna rate you a bad host, and that won't look good on your reputation. Another piece of advice is to make your lobbies look worth joining, feel free to take a look at how I set up my lobby pages or other Gold Host's but do not directly copy theirs and claim the design as yours. Ok I'm done. :D

NinetysBorn

Master
Jan 29, 2013
California USA
Alright, let me be the first second, to say that this is a thread FOR GOLD HOST QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS. This isn't a "yay we're gold hosts weiner fest." Let me remind some people that this is probably the first thing people are going to read, when they click on the custom games forum. I invite everyone who posted on this thread to delete their previous comments on here, unless it is a question to a gold host, answer to a question from the community, a helpful tip to upcoming hosts, or relating to these 3 items. I'm sorry if I come off as condescending :( I merely state this for the community and the community alone. Please help the community and Spadez out.
I have quite a few questions for some of our great gold hosts :)

Spades N AZ, in your lobbies you play some of the best maps from the Halo community! Most of them have never even been seen before. My question to you Spadez is, how do you go about getting such maps? Is there a specific routine you like to follow when looking for new awesome maps?

AM3R1CAN MUSCLE, hey there man. After reading up on some of your awesome lobbies :) I couldn't help, but wonder, how did you get to know so many different and awesome people in Halo? How long have you been part of the awesome Halo community?

Charles Stoot, I see that you are very much familiar to the great importance of rules in a fun game night. How did you go about deciding your lobby's rules? What are some of your most important rules and why? Are there any rules, that you think, a host must include in his lobbies?

Reactions: evergreen948