Halo 2 Anniversary Invasion(or something like it)

Hi! I'm rayner, a member on this site.

I don't have a lot of competitive forging experience, but after playing reach again in the weeks before the release of the release of TMCC, I fell in love with the invasion gametype again and I set my mind to re-creating it in TMCC, since it still has the old school halo feel; but mostly because I thought the Halo 2 sandbox would be perfect for such a gametype.

Now, this is not going to be exactly like invasion from Halo Reach, of course, but I'm trying to keep as many of it's core elements as I can. Although I can't seem to force one team to be elites and one team to be spartans(to my knowledge), I can edit the traits of the defenders and attackers. I've made it such that attackers have faster speed but slower shield recharge than defenders.

The major things I could not carry over from reach were things like armour abilities, fireteams (although there are 3 spawns for each phase and you can chose where to spawn), and spawning in teammates, as well as elite/spartan-only teams, and changing loadouts. The loadouts ARE different for each team, though. If you have any suggestions as to how you can incorporate these, please do tell me.

Here are some screenshots (taken from my phone) of the map I'm currently working on.

I managed to use scripting by itself to create the objectives, and the gametype use KOTH to accomplish certain things that scripting cannot.. Here are the list of objectives that I came up with(and managed to make in forge):

-Capture zones; the classic invasion objective.
-Destroying the Objective: E.g You must destroy one of three generators to progress to the next phase.
-Capture the intelligence: this may seem weird, but I had to replace the intelligence with a weapon. This weapon must be brought to a teleporter to complete the game.
-Terminals: This is pretty self-explanatory. I did, however, managed to make the activation of objects delayed, so attackers must defend the terminal to prevent the defenders from reverting it, much like extraction.

These should work, and I have shown how to do it below. The problem is that capture zones are tedious to make, each phase (with 2 zones) requiring a total of 15 scripting items.

How to forge:

Capture zones

Capture zones: Ok, let's start with the hardest objective to make. I took hours and hours to finally get this right. The reason why it was so difficult was because I wanted to find a way such that attackers could 'save time' while capturing; after 6 seconds, if the attacker leaves, he will only have to stay for another 12 seconds when he comes back in to capture the zone. After 12 seconds, he will only have to stay for another 6 when he goes in.

However, I only made these two intervals at 12 and 6, so anything under 6 will not be saved, and anything under 12 but above 6 will only save you 6 seconds the next time you go in. It's all a little confusing, I know. Here: staying for 6>x>12 seconds will save you 6 seconds, and staying for 12<x<18 seconds will save you 12 seconds, staying the full 18 seconds will complete the capture.

I made it 18 seconds to accomodate the spawning time and processing time of the scripting engine. In reality, it's still about 20 seconds; and the same goes for the 6 and 12 mentioned earlier, which is more like 7 and 13.

1: Cover each zone with 3 overlapping 'trigger on-stay toggle' pieces, and place 3 'timer: on once' pieces next to them. Here's the list of scripting options that these pieces will be set to.

2: Mark each zone with a hill; phase one will have the zones labeled alpha and bravo, phase two will have charlie and delta, and so on. Use an explosive as the hill and bury it into the ground to prevent it from being destroyed. When the zone is captured, the hill will explode, spawning the next two in the next phase. note that the hill is just a marker, DO NOT cover the capture zone with the hill zone. The hill is just to show where the capture zone is.

3: place 2 trait zones that cover the entire map (labeled alpha and bravo). These will be linked to the capture zones such that defenders and attackers will be alerted of attacker's entry into the zone. For ALL of the trigger on-stay toggles, label them as team: attacker, so that defenders cannot affect or capture the zones.

Phase 1:

Zone Alpha:
-------------------------
Trigger On-Stay Toggle
spawn channel: 63
broadcast channel: 10

Timer On Once
power channel: 10
broadcast channel: 11
time: 5

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 11
broadcast channel: 12

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 12
broadcast channel: 1
time: 6
Zone Bravo
Trigger On-Stay Toggle
broadcast channel: 13

Timer On Once
power channel:13
broadcast channel: 14

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 14
broadcast channel: 15

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 15

Timer On Once (all Map events that open up/prepare/spawn things for the next phase link to this; e.g. gates opening, spawning vehicles, weapons, and structures and to detonate the hill)
spawn channel: 1
broadcast channel: 2
time: 1

Timer Off Once (all map events to despawn objects link to this. Make sure the objects are set to place at start false and have can despawn set to true)
broadcast channel: 3

Timer Off Once (linked to trigger on-stay toggle)
broadcast channel: 63

Timer On Once
spawn channel: -1
broadcast channel: 63

Timer On Once

Phase 2:

Zone Alpha:

Trigger On-Stay Toggle
spawn channel: 62
broadcast channel: 16

Timer On Once
power channel: 16
broadcast channel: 17

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 17
broadcast channel: 18

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 18
broadcast channel: 4

Zone Bravo

Trigger On-Stay Toggle
spawn channel: 62
broadcast channel: 19

Timer On Once
power channel: 19
broadcast channel: 20

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 20
broadcast channel: 21

Timer On Once
spawn channel: 21

Timer On Once (all Map events that open up/prepare/spawn things for the next phase link to this; e.g. gates opening, spawning vehicles, weapons, and structures, and to detonate the hill)
spawn channel: 4
broadcast channel: 5

Timer Off Once (all map events to despawn objects link to this. Make sure the objects are set to place at start false and have can despawn set to true)
broadcast channel: 6

Timer Off Once (linked to trigger on-stay toggle)
broadcast channel: 62

Timer On Once
broadcast channel: 62

Timer On Once
broadcast channel: 6

Capture the core

1st option

This is far simpler. Label the desired weapon that shall act as the core as KOTH_Hill, and make it's zone cover the entire map; e.g. a circle with a 100-unit radius. Then, place the core on a pedestal and place a trait zone(specific to defenders) that disallows jumping. this will allow the attackers to get the weapon, but not the defenders.

Then, make a teleporter only accesible to the attackers(by infection shield or any other means) and label that as KOTH_hill as well. This will be the delivery point; once players reach the teleporter they should be teleported out of the map where they will get points from the hill.

2nd option:

Place a block (any block) at the spawn point of your core. Then, place a removable machine gun turret on top of it. this is your core spawn. The core delivery point is different. Construct a hollow structure with two holes on top and place down a one-way shield to block the hole. Then, place mines below the one-way shield.

At the other hole, block it with an pallet covered with a shield door, thus preventing it from being destroyed by players. By dropping the turret through the one-way shield, the mines will be activated and destroy the pallet blocking the other hole, allowing player to go in. Inside, the final hill will be placed and the player can obtain the points for his team. The hole(that the player enters) should also be blocked with infection shields accordingly, such that only the attackers will be able to get points.

This option, however, requires there to be NO OTHER REMOVABLE TURRET present on the map.

Destroy the Objective

These objectives will be fusion coils(or any other explosive) placed above 'trigger on destroyed' pieces. The 'trigger on destroyed' pieces will spawn or despawn any objects for the next phase, as well as detonate the other objective.

Terminals:

This is a little complicated. Place down 1 switch and 3 timers. Like the capture point, mark each with an explosive labeled as the hill.

Note that this is NOT considering the Capture zone's scripting options.

Point Alpha:
----------------
Switch Toggle
power channel: 4

Timer On Once
(all Map events that open up/prepare/spawn things for the next phase link to this; e.g. gates opening, spawning vehicles, weapons, and structures, and to detonate the hill)
time: (however long you want the attackers to wait)

Timer Off Once
(all map events to despawn objects link to this. make sure the objects are set to place at start false and have can despawn set to true)
----------------

Point Bravo:
----------------
Switch Toggle
broadcast channel: 5
power channel: 4

Timer On Once
(all Map events that open up/prepare/spawn things for the next phase link to this; e.g. gates opening, spawning vehicles, weapons, and structures, and to detonate the hill)
spawn channel: 5

Timer Off Once
(all map events to despawn objects link to this. make sure the objects are set to place at start false and have can despawn set to true)
spawn channel: 5
----------------
Timer On Once
time:1

Timer On Once
Broadcast channel: 3
time:1

--------------------------

It may all seem daunting for now; and I will update if I find any errors. But just remember that you can just refer to this thread anytime you want to make an invasion map; if you follow the scripting options correctly, it should work. Please give feedback!

Last edited:

Berb

Master
Dec 30, 2012
Great stuff!

I'm wondering if using territories you can make something similar to Rush from battlefield

Berb

Master
Dec 30, 2012
I don't play battle field, lol. You could tell me what it's about then I could try to do such a thing.

It's just like Invasion in how it progresses, but it requires that both objectives be captured as opposed to only one. Also capturing is more like arming a bomb than lowering hill time.

EDIT: Also, why 6 and 12 seconds for the "float" time, rather than the original 7 seconds?

EDIT: Also, why 6 and 12 seconds for the "float" time, rather than the original 7 seconds?

The 6 seconds is really still around 6.5-7 seconds; the engine takes time to read that you're in the zone and then spawn in the timer. The good thing about this is that the times can be adjusted according to how you want the map to progress; as it is not limited by the gametype. So you could make a 50-second capture zone alpha and a 10-second capture zone bravo in the same phase- it's very flexible, and is a indication of the things you can do with the scripting system.

Updated the post. Seems like I might have got some stuff wrong, and also I've added the "intruder alarm" mechanic, though in a different way. I'm also going to make big changes to the sample map; if anyone is interested in helping to test, please tell me via PM or down here.

Last edited:

buddhacrane

Proficient
Nov 2, 2014
You know that for "Capture Zones" you can just use the "Incursion" Territories gametype, right? From what I can gather, Incursion was intended as the "Spiritual Successor" to Invasion. It'll even handle progressive player Respawning for you, without the need for Scripting (Just use the "terr_spawn_zone" label on "Respawn-Force" Zones with the appropriate "Spawn Sequence").

http://www.certainaffinity.com/uncategorized/forging-game-modes-in-halo-2-anniversary/#incursion

Disclaimer: Incursion's "terr_inc_reveal" and "terr_inc_remove" labels don't work though. But they aren't 100% necessary for recreating Invasion.

You know that for "Capture Zones" you can just use the "Incursion" Territories gametype, right? From what I can gather, Incursion was intended as the "Spiritual Successor" to Invasion. It'll even handle progressive player Respawning for you, without the need for Scripting (Just use the "terr_spawn_zone" label on "Respawn-Force" Zones with the appropriate "Spawn Sequence").

http://www.certainaffinity.com/uncategorized/forging-game-modes-in-halo-2-anniversary/#incursion

Disclaimer: Incursion's "terr_inc_reveal" and "terr_inc_remove" labels don't work though. But they aren't 100% necessary for recreating Invasion.

Wow, I didn't know that- and thanks for the idea, but- there are a few questions I have, though- firstly, how do I make a third 'capture the core' phase? Secondly, is it possible to make the territories spawn two at a time (so that there's and alpha zone and a bravo zone), because I can't tell that from the article. And thirdly, if "terr_inc_reveal" and "terr_inc_remove" labels don't work, how do I make objects spawn in and change the weapon set and control map flow?

This may be just my pride speaking, but I wanted my gametype to have as much diversity as possible, as shown in the variety of different objectives in the main post above- just progressive territories isn't really what I'm looking for, although I will explore this new gametype to see if it works better than KOTH for invasion.

But thanks a great deal for your feedback! it means a lot to me; this project has been at a sort-of dead end after school resumed. Now I can explore new methods of making the gametype work better. If possible, could you help test my invasion map? I'm going to host a lobby ASAP to test invasion and your feedback would be most valuable. ;)

Last edited:

buddhacrane

Proficient
Nov 2, 2014
The "Incursion" gametype will indeed not replace all the variants of Invasion, but I figured it would make doing the "Capture Zone" one easier.

If you wanted to stick with "Incursion" for your Capture The Core phase, then you'd need to do something similar to your Machine Gun Turret idea, but with the final territory zone in your mine box thingy.

So, although the reveal and remove labels are bugged, it is actually technically possible to make them work using the Scripting. You can put the labels on Scripting Timers, and then build some Scripting Logic to "fix" the bug. It's a bit complicated, but I intend to make a video on it in the not-too-distant to show how it can be done. So if you really need to add and remove things from the map when players Capture Zones, then it can be done.

I believe you can have 2 capture zones at the same time, but they would be the same sequence. So you would have two "Alpha Zones" rather than an Alpha and a Bravo at the same time; and then you would capture either zone to progress. Is that the same as having an Alpha and a Bravo - just capture either to progress? Or did you have to capture Alpha and Bravo but in either order? I don't remember Invasion too well from Reach.

Going back to your original Capture the Zones idea with Scripting though. One problem is that you can't Spawn/Despawn Trait Zones (they're always spawned onto the map - it sucks I know, I wanted to be able to manipulate Trait Zones for puzzle ideas!) so you can't use that as a way to "flag" to players that the zones are being captured. You'd need to use flashing lights or something.

You can also simplify the Scripting on those Zones - using just one On-Stay Toggle, like so:

Zone Alpha:
Trigger On-Stay Toggle

Timer On Once

Timer On Once

Timer On Once

Same end result. Fewer Scripting objects. The magic is in combining the power channels with the spawn channels on Timers (Both need to be "on" for a Timer to "activate").

The "Incursion" gametype will indeed not replace all the variants of Invasion, but I figured it would make doing the "Capture Zone" one easier.

If you wanted to stick with "Incursion" for your Capture The Core phase, then you'd need to do something similar to your Machine Gun Turret idea, but with the final territory zone in your mine box thingy.

So, although the reveal and remove labels are bugged, it is actually technically possible to make them work using the Scripting. You can put the labels on Scripting Timers, and then build some Scripting Logic to "fix" the bug. It's a bit complicated, but I intend to make a video on it in the not-too-distant to show how it can be done. So if you really need to add and remove things from the map when players Capture Zones, then it can be done.

I believe you can have 2 capture zones at the same time, but they would be the same sequence. So you would have two "Alpha Zones" rather than an Alpha and a Bravo at the same time; and then you would capture either zone to progress. Is that the same as having an Alpha and a Bravo - just capture either to progress? Or did you have to capture Alpha and Bravo but in either order? I don't remember Invasion too well from Reach.

Going back to your original Capture the Zones idea with Scripting though. One problem is that you can't Spawn/Despawn Trait Zones (they're always spawned onto the map - it sucks I know, I wanted to be able to manipulate Trait Zones for puzzle ideas!) so you can't use that as a way to "flag" to players that the zones are being captured. You'd need to use flashing lights or something.

You can also simplify the Scripting on those Zones - using just one On-Stay Toggle, like so:

Zone Alpha:
Trigger On-Stay Toggle

Timer On Once

Timer On Once

Timer On Once

Same end result. Fewer Scripting objects. The magic is in combining the power channels with the spawn channels on Timers (Both need to be "on" for a Timer to "activate").

Hmm. I'll PM you.