Unused area on Impact

iForge

Qualified
Jan 16, 2013
K-mart
When people forge on Impact they always seem to use one of three spaces to put their map in; 1) The flat area around the building on the big asteroid, 2) Space, or 3) the flat area on the small asteroid. This surprises me a bit as their are several other locations that could be included in a map, the largest (and the one with the most potential, in my opinion) has to be the back half of the small asteroid (on a side note, we need names for the asteroids...) it's at least the size of the flat area and has all kinds of height variation that could be the ground level, or just part of, a map.

At the moment I'm working on a map that should demonstrate how this back area can be used to make all kinds of interesting locations and settings, but for now, these pics should get the idea across:

1. The majority (theirs MORE stuff to the right of the mountain) of the "back area" from the side
halo4_1_Impact_zpsb139faa6.jpg

2. An overview of the majority (Again, I coulden't quite get all of it in picture...) of the back. as you can see there are quite a few dips and hills around here that could really be used to make all kinds of maps!
halo4_3_Impact_zpsac1318ac.jpg

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
I agree!

I'm actually building a map in a similar area right now.
More people should try to use these areas, there is crazy potential up there.

Reactions: iForge

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
I agree too, the uneven terrein promotes creativity. It is a lot more difficult to forge on, pushing us to forge more theme driven maps. I love the challenge. This is the reason I also love Erosion. It is difficult, which I think is important. I want to be restricted. I want boundries. I want to have to come up with innovative ideas to make the most of it. And this is the reason I am planning to forge a map in the exact area!

corduroyCHUCK

Master
Dec 28, 2012
Michigan
the first time i stumbled into those mountains i was surprised by how big they actually are.

and i totally agree about boundaries promoting creativity, it's part of what made halo 3 forge so amazing.

Reactions: EmbarkingZeus

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
I agree too, the uneven terrein promotes creativity. It is a lot more difficult to forge on, pushing us to forge more theme driven maps. I love the challenge. This is the reason I also love Erosion. It is difficult, which I think is important. I want to be restricted. I want boundries. I want to have to come up with innovative ideas to make the most of it. And this is the reason I am planning to forge a map in the exact area!

Well... i sort of agree.
i want boundaries too... but i also want to be able to break out of them.
at least in reach you could spawn a tele outside the boundaries and do some weird stuff occasionally.

like... STEGO PHANTOM LOLOLOL

(built this with my robot arm)

reach_10554029_Full.jpg

22xUv.jpg

Titmar

Le Mar du Teet
Dec 23, 2012
yea it was... i forget which map pack right now though. it was an invasion and btb map.

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
well personally i almost always use the back asteroid mainly because i dont like having to mess with pre built structures, i prefer to just have my own creativity and nothing else

Reactions: Titmar

Ormy96

Proficient
Jan 16, 2013
Somewhere in the UK.
I have seen these other forge locations on impact and my theory to why people don't use these spaces are because they find it hard to forge in those areas. But to be honest I really don't understand it.

Reactions: iForge

iForge

Qualified
Jan 16, 2013
K-mart
I have seen these other forge locations on impact and my theory to why people don't use these spaces are because they find it hard to forge in those areas. But to be honest I really don't understand it.

Yes, people also say thing like "These forge spaces are two small to make a map on", I find it kind of dumb, the maps have a TON of unused space, people just don't put enough effort into making maps there.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
You don't understand why people don't want a challenge? Forge isn't about having a blank canvas to make something from scratch. It is about using the environment provided to create something different. Your map isn't going to be different when it is forged in the same old areas on the canvases. By forging in these more difficult locations, players get a new experience. The goal, I feel, is to not let the player think "oh I'm on Impact... I'm on the larger asteroid near the prefab building" but to give an illusion, not to make the player question where they are but to create a really immersive experience so that they don't even think about the canvas. That is part of what makes a great map.

iForge

Qualified
Jan 16, 2013
K-mart
You don't understand why people don't want a challenge? Forge isn't about having a blank canvas to make something from scratch. It is about using the environment provided to create something different. Your map isn't going to be different when it is forged in the same old areas on the canvases. By forging in these more difficult locations, players get a new experience. The goal, I feel, is to not let the player think "oh I'm on Impact... I'm on the larger asteroid near the prefab building" but to give an illusion, not to make the player question where they are but to create a really immersive experience so that they don't even think about the canvas. That is part of what makes a great map.
Well said!

Ormy96

Proficient
Jan 16, 2013
Somewhere in the UK.

Looks like you lectured me good.