Welkin

Core Welkin

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
Welkin (version 2015-02-14) - An open map designed around prediction and movement.

Hey guys, I'm here to finally release my 1v1 submission, (Christopher) Welkin. This map has been a great experience for me; I stepped out of my general comfort zone by trying out a style I could never really get in...

Read more about this map...

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Where are the replies? I remember when we used to actually talk about maps on forums. I really love this map. This is a great example of a map's theme and aesthetic strongly influencing its design in a positive way. The gameplay which the open-air, platform-based nature of the map creates is really awesome. The jumps, lines of sight, and height variation here are all great. I really wish that more of the floaty rocks could somehow have been integrated into the layout, but I'm not sure that would even work. I look forward to playing this more, awesome job on this one. :y:

Reactions: Tedium

Behemoth

Master
Jan 11, 2013
Scotia, CA
Thanks Duck, I'm really glad you enjoyed this one! I do think that the one floating rock jump is the only place it could have worked, but damn does it work wonders, thanks for that suggestion. :b
And seriously, everyone is begining to seem a bit more lazy... lol.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I wasn't suggesting you should have added in more rock jumps, that would have served form over function. I just think it would have been really interesting to see a layout incorporate more of those floaty rocks from the beginning. Perhaps I'll just steal your aesthetic concept and build a map around it. ;) I can just imagine a BTB map with a bunch of floaty rock platforms with 'hogs jumping between them. I might have to try that.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I will do it. Accounting for vertical change with massive ramps is one of the biggest roadblocks (cwutididthere) to making a vertical hogging map, so achieving vertical change with a bunch of floaty rocks and such would bypass that. It shall be awesome.

Anyways, back to Welkin. it's cool and stuff. :heart: