Custom Game Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
Depends what you consider are kids ages. I think anything below 11 years of age is too young to be on XBL.

I agree. Kids can and do have superior hand-eye coordination, but no strategic knowledge for games like Halo MM, and even when communications are blocked they are often exposed to too many mature things.

Reactions: NinetysBorn

a bored teen

Adept
Jan 20, 2013
Requiem
I would claim to be a kid 15 by 6 grade I was exposed to most the stuff I've seen or heard. I'm not saying its right but your giving these kids to much credit

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
Custom games are a mess right now. So many broken options, so many things left out. There's a thread over on the Waypoint forums with over 200 pages, 700 followers, and thousands of Thanks (waypoint version of "like"). That's just sad, IMO.

On the subject of kids and video games, I find it a bit hypocritical that no one has a problem with kids watching violent movies anymore, but video games are a gigantic problem. I think it's up to parents to decide what their kids play. If little Timmy gets his fragile mind warped by a violent video game, is that the industries fault? No. It's poor parenting. The games have ratings for a reason.

Reactions: The Zoid

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I will not let my child watch violent movies no more than violent games or be on XBL. Every kid is different obviously, but I would say the age of 10-12 is a good time to begin an exposure to that type of media, else they will evetnually see it somewhere else and outside of your knowledge and potential guidance.

The Zoid

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
Hungary
I will not let my child watch violent movies no more than violent games or be on XBL. Every kid is different obviously, but I would say the age of 10-12 is a good time to begin an exposure to that type of media, else they will evetnually see it somewhere else and outside of your knowledge and potential guidance.

On the subject of kids and video games, I find it a bit hypocritical that no one has a problem with kids watching violent movies anymore, but video games are a gigantic problem. I think it's up to parents to decide what their kids play. If little Timmy gets his fragile mind warped by a violent video game, is that the industries fault? No. It's poor parenting. The games have ratings for a reason.

I can't even play CoD and I'm 15, and my parents (dad especialy) are very carefull about what we watch and play sometimes a bit over protectiv, but I don't have a problem with it, altough in school there are some things I can't relate to cause for exemple: I didn't see Alien when I was 7 and everyone else did... But even as a "kid" I agree with you, in most of your points.

'Bout customs: I like playing competitve games and if we are playing something were the team could communicate most people don't, but I guess I just have to find the right people.

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
I can't even play CoD and I'm 15, and my parents (dad especialy) are very carefull about what we watch and play sometimes a bit over protectiv, but I don't have a problem with it, altough in school there are some things I can't relate to cause for exemple: I didn't see Alien when I was 7 and everyone else did... But even as a "kid" I agree with you, in most of your points.

Well there is an obvious difference between video games. I do not consider Halo graphically violent. I have no problem letting a 6-7+ year old play that. I do not let them on XBL without me due to exposure to mature concepts and language. But I would also assert that boys playing Halo matchmaking at 7 and boys hitting eachother with sticks in the backyard at 7 are fairly equal. Both teach some basic combat and mental skills that are essential to male development, IMO:

-Strategy
-Problem Solving
-Respect
-Comprehension of defeat
-Cause and effect
-Teamwork

The list could go on, but I hope that makes the point. Also, these are all things a father could and should (IMO) teach if he is present and able to do so. If a child (boy inparticular) encounters challenges to the things above, a father's guidance, experience, and example for him to follow to those understandings is greater than all the wealth of a lifetime.

Okay, off rant. lolz

The Zoid

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
Hungary
I'm not exactley sure how I should consider your anwser or even if what I said made any sense at all, I just wanted to take part of the conversation and I rushed it a little. It's late here :p I should sleep. But Yeah actually I do get what your are saying (I think:S).

FragsturBait

Expert
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado, USA
Well there is an obvious difference between video games. I do not consider Halo graphically violent. I have no problem letting a 6-7+ year old play that. I do not let them on XBL without me due to exposure to mature concepts and language. But I would also assert that boys playing Halo matchmaking at 7 and boys hitting eachother with sticks in the backyard at 7 are fairly equal. Both teach some basic combat and mental skills that are essential to male development, IMO:

-Strategy
-Problem Solving
-Respect
-Comprehension of defeat
-Cause and effect
-Teamwork

The list could go on, but I hope that makes the point. Also, these are all things a father could and should (IMO) teach if he is present and able to do so. If a child (boy inparticular) encounters challenges to the things above, a father's guidance, experience, and example for him to follow to those understandings is greater than all the wealth of a lifetime.

Okay, off rant. lolz

^That part made me laugh, but it's quite true. You could extend your argument to things like airsoft, paintball. My parents didn't want me to play violent games when I was a kid, my mom even went so far as to remove the writeup about Mortal Kombat from one of my Nintendo Powers. (yes I'm old) But they had no problem with us running around in the back yard with Nerf guns. My dad even helped us build a treehouse. My neighbor had one too, and we wasted many a summer day with hours long CTF battles. I also had friends whose parents wouldn't let them join us, because they didn't want their kids exposed to any sort of violence. I feel that this is taking it overboard. Sadly, violence is a part of our society, and kids need to learn to understand that it has consequences. Zoid's parents and CO Boarder are great examples of the good parenting I was talking about. Especially Zoid, you seem to understand and accept where your parents are coming from. I believe it's okay to expose children to things like this, as long as the level of exposure depends on age, and parents are around to put it in perspective.

Reactions: The Zoid

CO BOARDERS

Adept
Jan 13, 2013
Agreed. The worst thing you can do is ban them from it without educating them about it. Otherwise, suddenly Johnny gets bullied at school and thinks his dads hidden hand gun will solve the problem. Shunning something is only a temporary band aid. Educating will last forever.

Ninja

Master
Jan 9, 2013
Agreed. The worst thing you can do is ban them from it without educating them about it. Otherwise, suddenly Johnny gets bullied at school and thinks his dads hidden hand gun will solve the problem. Shunning something is only a temporary band aid. Educating will last forever.
Yes this is all true but don't forget that a lack of restriction will teach the child that violence is good and or fun and that can lead to some major problems. I have seen both, over protected and under protected and both can be bad. The key to this all is a balance as is almost all things in life.

alchemPyro

Qualified
Jan 17, 2013
Nevada
Its amazing what can pop up in just a few days, when I'm not watching you guys. So let us sum this up. Instead of considering everything to be blatantly "appropriate" or "inappropriate" like simpletons, we should embrace education and guidance of our children. Instead of giving people a hard time over content of a product, we should thoroughly look into products and make sure morality is not threatened. This conversation makes me think of our country(America) has degraded and made itself much more dangerous through over-implementation of safety rules and enforcement. Just a few years(decades?) ago, people, especially adolescence, would settle disputes with fist fights. Now it is strictly forbidden for anyone to make any physical contact. This suppression and autonomy, whether from video games or reality, will often boil over and create intense violence. I hope I can trust all of you to take this wisdom and forge true men and women for the next generation. Seeing how the way things are going, we're gonna need them.

Reactions: CO BOARDERS
Status
Not open for further replies.