HaloCustoms Server Update: April

hc-officialnews.jpg

Hello everyone! Bigstack here with another "behind the scenes" update!

If you've been living under a ro-- err... ehem. If you haven't noticed, recently over the past couple of weeks, the site has been down or very slow on occasion. This is due to a wave of SYN and DDoS floods, among other types of attacks that have been directed at us. I spent many long sleepless nights fighting with a firewall and rebooting the server in hopes of being able to gain control of the situation. It seems like there's been a rash of attacks in the Halo community of late, and HaloCustoms is just one of them!

After speaking with other colleagues on the subject, we came up with some successful solutions that can handle small to mid-level attacks. I won’t go into detail about how the new system works but it is proving to be effective, to say the least. However, that said some legitimate users are getting banned… If this happens to you, PLEASE DO NOT PANIC -- it will only last 10 minutes. If this does happen, please send me a message (BigStack), and we can figure out why it happened. Sadly, the security that we have implemented is very strict and false positives happen.

As of this morning we have upgraded to a new server that “should” be better suited to handling the attacks.

FUN STUFF

Last month, we added the Maps add-on, which has been seeing some great success! We're very glad we took the time to get that set up. We are continuing to work on yet more improvements on the site. We're working closely with 343 and other community sites, and we promise, the best is yet to come!

Now to the part everyone has been waiting for. Last month’s stats! Note that some days will be skewed weirdly due to the attacks ruining our activity.

Some pretty things to look at:

March 2013

Summary.PNG

Only half way through April, and on track for just about the same as last month's activity!​
Monthly.PNG

Weekend warriors!​
DaysWeek.PNG
Hourly.PNG

U.S.A! U.S.A! U.S.A!​
Countrys.PNG

Last but not least, a little sampling of user data for your enjoyment:​
OS.PNG

Thank you for explaining why stuff was happening. I was unfortunately getting frustrated with the site but now that I understand, it makes a whole lot more sense.

Reactions: DirtyyJuicebox
These graphs don't due HaloCustoms justice. With attacks the view count has dramatically decreased, and will start to climb again in coming months. In the meantime lets start up these customs games and crack open a cold one.
Suck One!

I feel bad for anyone using google chrome. Its not too late guys! You can come back from the dark side and be one with firefox again!!!! I can help you overcome the burden of loss you might feel towards the dreaded chrome. Just come back to Firefox!

I feel bad for anyone using google chrome. Its not too late guys! You can come back from the dark side and be one with firefox again!!!! I can help you overcome the burden of loss you might feel towards the dreaded chrome. Just come back to Firefox!
Hey man I just didnt want to use Internet Explorer man I just couldnt deal with it man

Reactions: Tedium
Hey man I just didnt want to use Internet Explorer man I just couldnt deal with it man
You just killed a youngling with that comment. If you didn't want to use [censored for the safety of the childrens] then you should have picked up Firefox. I mean come on. you like having text ads? Well chrome wont let you get rid of those, firefox will along with every other ad...