Contest Warning: Multiple accounts on your IP address will likely get you DISQUALIFIED

OfficialCompetition.jpg

Twice today, us staff have discovered that at least two contestents in our current Minigame competition have been creating multiple accounts from the same IP address. This is internet speak for having more than one account on your computer.

stahp.png

While this may be due to having multiple family members accessing the same computer, it is against the rules.

Let me be clear. Having family members, friends, or anyone else vote for your map in the polls is completely fair. However, they must do so from a separate internet connection. This is to make our job easier when ruling out cheaters, as we are forced to assume that if you have multiple accounts created on your computer, that they have been created with the purpose of unfairly gaining an advantage in the competition.

Please do not do this. It is a fair temptation, I am sure, and it is easy to do. "Who will notice?" you might ask yourself, if your weakest moment. Except we do notice. We have access to all of the relevant data, and we use it for situations just like this.

We will continue to investigate anyone else who has created proxy accounts, and will response accordingly.

IMPORTANT: READ BELOW
If anyone has done this, and would like to protect themselves from a disqualification, I am going to give you a chance to save yourself. Private message me, and out of respect, I will simply subtract the extra votes rather than fully disqualifying you.

However, fail to do so before we find out ourselves, and you will be banned from this site. You have been warned.

Q&A

Q: "Should I be worried that a fan has messed up the votes or is the known problem elsewhere?"
A: Not at all. If a fan has inflated the voting, then that fan will be held responsible. The map is only ever disqualified if the creator or co creator has committed the proxy. However, all votes distributed by the crime will always been subtracted, when necessary.

Q: "I'm worried that you'll start banning someone unfairly."
A: I endeavor to discover all relevant facts and reasoning before I make any important decisions such as banning. In truth, I try to be a forgiving person. I won't ban or punish someone unless I have good reason to believe they deserve it.

Q: "Me and my sister/brother both have accounts, with which we've voted. Is that against the rules?"
A: What you have described above is totally fine, now that you've let me know. Part of me wishes we didn't have to be so suspicious of IP addresses, but it's much more important than I like to admit. Thanks again for letting me know - this doesn't require any subtraction of votes.

Alternatively, you can just let us know and we'll make a note of it. If your friend wants to make an account, just message someone on the staff "hey my friend is making an account on my internet" and we'll be totally cool with it. We just don't want an after-the-fact excuse about how your uncle's dog made an account when you were out or something equally ridiculous

Well, the free customized controller with the mod is like $200, it's not a cheap prize. But still, I want this to be a fair (and fun!) contest :)

Well as soon as you introduce a prize, people will do anything and everything to get said prize... so yeah.
I mean if the prize was a action figure of my spartan (Cute, FOTUS wearing guy), I would try very hard to get it.

...and for some that includes cheating. :/

Can just run some code against the database to show votes without posts. Can also match Votes to IPs easily.

I've had a few messages now from a number of you, which I strongly appreciate. However, everything so far is perfectly legal, and within our rules. Before you worry too much, just let me remind you: the HC #1 rule is "Use common sense." I'll try to post some of the questions I've had:

Q: "Should I be worried that a fan has messed up the votes or is the known problem elsewhere?"
A: Not at all. If a fan has inflated the voting, then that fan will be held responsible. The map is only ever disqualified if the creator or co creator has committed the proxy. However, all votes distributed by the crime will always been subtracted, when necessary.

Q: "I'm worried that you'll start banning someone unfairly."
A: I endeavor to discover all relevant facts and reasoning before I make any important decisions such as banning. In truth, I try to be a forgiving person. I won't ban or punish someone unless I have good reason to believe they deserve it.

Q: "Me and my sister/brother both have accounts, with which we've voted. Is that against the rules?"
A: What you have described above is totally fine, now that you've let me know. Part of me wishes we didn't have to be so suspicious of IP addresses, but it's much more important than I like to admit. Thanks again for letting me know - this doesn't require any subtraction of votes.

I'll edit that into the top as well. Real sorry to have everything suddenly become so dire, guys. I'd rather not be in a situation like this, but unfortunately it's just the nature of the beast. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

I'll edit that into the top as well. Real sorry to have everything suddenly become so dire, guys. I'd rather not be in a situation like this, but unfortunately it's just the nature of the beast. If you have any more questions, just let me know.

That's okay. Suspense is fun, and this gives me an excuse to re read Cory Doctorow's Little Brother series. Which btw is a great book about this same kind of stuff. This is a totally fair way to make sure this thing plays itself cleanly, and I respect it. Also, we can finally make bad jokes about similarities between Insane and the NSA.

Reactions: Insane54
Disqualify RecklessRiley for cheating. That's not fair that cheaters can win a $200 prize.

Man People cheat on everything I wouldn't even be surprised besides People cheat on the rating of their matches too but one can't say anything because they are High and Mighty going nuts with that small power then if they send their fan base you
are fucked because we are like bananas :titmar: