Contest Warning: Multiple accounts on your IP address will likely get you DISQUALIFIED

OfficialCompetition.jpg

Twice today, us staff have discovered that at least two contestents in our current Minigame competition have been creating multiple accounts from the same IP address. This is internet speak for having more than one account on your computer.

stahp.png

While this may be due to having multiple family members accessing the same computer, it is against the rules.

Let me be clear. Having family members, friends, or anyone else vote for your map in the polls is completely fair. However, they must do so from a separate internet connection. This is to make our job easier when ruling out cheaters, as we are forced to assume that if you have multiple accounts created on your computer, that they have been created with the purpose of unfairly gaining an advantage in the competition.

Please do not do this. It is a fair temptation, I am sure, and it is easy to do. "Who will notice?" you might ask yourself, if your weakest moment. Except we do notice. We have access to all of the relevant data, and we use it for situations just like this.

We will continue to investigate anyone else who has created proxy accounts, and will response accordingly.

IMPORTANT: READ BELOW
If anyone has done this, and would like to protect themselves from a disqualification, I am going to give you a chance to save yourself. Private message me, and out of respect, I will simply subtract the extra votes rather than fully disqualifying you.

However, fail to do so before we find out ourselves, and you will be banned from this site. You have been warned.

Q&A

Q: "Should I be worried that a fan has messed up the votes or is the known problem elsewhere?"
A: Not at all. If a fan has inflated the voting, then that fan will be held responsible. The map is only ever disqualified if the creator or co creator has committed the proxy. However, all votes distributed by the crime will always been subtracted, when necessary.

Q: "I'm worried that you'll start banning someone unfairly."
A: I endeavor to discover all relevant facts and reasoning before I make any important decisions such as banning. In truth, I try to be a forgiving person. I won't ban or punish someone unless I have good reason to believe they deserve it.

Q: "Me and my sister/brother both have accounts, with which we've voted. Is that against the rules?"
A: What you have described above is totally fine, now that you've let me know. Part of me wishes we didn't have to be so suspicious of IP addresses, but it's much more important than I like to admit. Thanks again for letting me know - this doesn't require any subtraction of votes.

Wait... Reck1ess wasn't disqualified?
He made a story, and got his map qualified again... now in the Top 4 for winning the contest?

So... you made this announcement, yet he won't get disqualified?
So if you get caught cheating, you can make up some story, and admit to cheating, and have a chance to win a $200 prize?

Reck1ess should have stayed disqualified, and its a shame to see H2AKON get surpassed by a cheater.

Tomtris, don't be so arrogant as to think we staff make it as easy as that to get out of disqualification. I'll remind you that Doncut told a story as well, and last I checked, he's still disqualified.

Before we start the next round, I just wanted to take some time to explain some things. Specifically, the situation with Ice Breakers (Riley) and Speed (Doncut).

My position is certainly a difficult one, and I endeavor to find the best and most fair solutions. At the same time, I feel like some people deserve second chances based on how they feel, act and respond. In Riley's case, I felt that he certainly deserved a second chance, while I could not say the same for Doncut. However, a lot of this is attributed to the magnitude of their violations. It is the same principle, yes, which is why they were both disqualified (initially, at least). However, once principles step back, and practicalities step forward, the magnitudes transcend ideology.

It would have made no sense at all to give Doncut a second chance, as he would have been set back by as much as 48 votes, with little chance of success. Additionally, his story just felt too far fetched, and nothing at all smelt right about it.

On the other hand, you have Riley. In terms of practicalities, he was only set back by 7 votes. Once we'd taken that away, he still had a chance to win. And as you can see, he managed to obtain a further 15 votes after he was put back into the competition. This was the community's choice.

For anyone currently against my decision to revoke the disqualification, I have one thing to say. By choosing to bring Ice Breakers back into the competition, I have not chosen to advance Riley to the next round. The only thing that has changed is that I have enabled the community to vote for the minigame, if they so choose. Turns out they did.

I also should remind everyone that us staff are not "judges". It is 100% down to the community to decide who wins this competition. If you don't want to vote for Ice Breakers in the semi finals due to this incident, it is completely in your power to do so. Again, us staff are not judges here. However, our decision is final, and we won't flip flop based on the grandly differing opinions of the community.

Reactions: Budddyyy and H2AK0N
I feel that with all this arguing going on about the Riley incident- much of it on my account, I should interject my opinion in the matter as one of the primary stakeholders in the decision that was made.

Now I will admit that I was thoroughly pissed off when I woke up this morning, checked my computer and found that not only had Riley been re-qualified, but he had beaten me too. I admit to feeling robbed of a victory and I admit that I felt immediately resentful of the decision. No-one likes losing, myself included.

However, after spending the whole day at school thinking through what has happened, I have come to the conclusion that I don't care. There are more important things in life than a $200 customised controller- especially when I already have 3 controllers anyway. If people want to take this contest so seriously that they are willing to devalue the whole competition by creating fake accounts and voting for themselves, so be it. If people want to make YouTube videos asking for votes, so be it.

A J Yusi showed that he obviously didn't care when his entry was knocked out in the preliminary rounds. Had he wanted to he could have used THFE as advertising and gained thousands of votes overnight but he didn't. I could have done the same thing in my quarterfinal against Riley but since my affiliated channel has more than twice the fan base of his I knew that that would destroy all chance of a fair competition and so I didn't make a video telling my subscribers to go and vote for my entry. Not even when Riley did so on his channel.

He beat me and has advanced to the semi final where he is now one step closer to the grand prize. I say good luck to him. He obviously wants this more than I do so I am happy to sit back and let him take this victory. I had fun and made some new friends which is what community competitions should be about, not a free for all popularity contest.
So good luck to everyone still in the contest. No matter who ends up with the controller, from my vantage point up on the moral high ground- I can still call myself a winner.

I feel that with all this arguing going on about the Riley incident- much of it on my account, I should interject my opinion in the matter as one of the primary stakeholders in the decision that was made.

Now I will admit that I was thoroughly pissed off when I woke up this morning, checked my computer and found that not only had Riley been re-qualified, but he had beaten me too. I admit to feeling robbed of a victory and I admit that I felt immediately resentful of the decision. No-one likes losing, myself included.

However, after spending the whole day at school thinking through what has happened, I have come to the conclusion that I don't care. There are more important things in life than a $200 customised controller- especially when I already have 3 controllers anyway. If people want to take this contest so seriously that they are willing to devalue the whole competition by creating fake accounts and voting for themselves, so be it. If people want to make YouTube videos asking for votes, so be it.

A J Yusi showed that he obviously didn't care when his entry was knocked out in the preliminary rounds. Had he wanted to he could have used THFE as advertising and gained thousands of votes overnight but he didn't. I could have done the same thing in my quarterfinal against Riley but since my affiliated channel has more than twice the fan base of his I knew that that would destroy all chance of a fair competition and so I didn't make a video telling my subscribers to go and vote for my entry. Not even when Riley did so on his channel.

He beat me and has advanced to the semi final where he is now one step closer to the grand prize. I say good luck to him. He obviously wants this more than I do so I am happy to sit back and let him take this victory. I had fun and made some new friends which is what community competitions should be about, not a free for all popularity contest.
So good luck to everyone still in the contest. No matter who ends up with the controller, from my vantage point up on the moral high ground- I can still call myself a winner.

This was great to read. Thanks for your understanding, and I'm sorry to have made this whole experience so back-and-forth for you.

Reactions: Budddyyy
This was great to read. Thanks for your understanding, and I'm sorry to have made this whole experience so back-and-forth for you.

It's fine. ;)

I hope this whole fiasco doesn't stop you guys from holding more contests in the future, it's great to see the community (with a few exceptions) competing in a friendly environment.

Reactions: Budddyyy
Luckily, our next competition will not be based around community voting - it'll be much more direct than that ;) More info on that closer to the time though :laugh:

Reactions: Jl1223 X

George , that was very "Adult Like" of you.. so in conclusion you will still be winning in my books.. I would like to speak to you further of your maps and your creativity of such maps and implement them on MY Channel.. I would love to be able to give the community a under-estimated Mini-Game forger a chance, due to that's what I love to do on my channel!!

Reactions: H2AK0N
The graphic reminded me of this picture of my son lol
MoC6rsPl.jpg

As far as the rest of that stuff goes - that sucks, but that's the learning curve of running contests. Future contests will be better because of it. Good luck to the contestants. I'm looking forward to trying these minigames out. (Waiting for my internet to get fixed at home lol)

Wow, what failures? Anyone who uses a computer should either know to use a proxy or a vm if you create multiple accounts. Although I think even that would be pointless because to have multiple accounts is just a lot more work for you to do, totally not worth it at all!

So I go away for juat a bit and all things go to hell.... I see how it is. You guys just wanted me on my phone the whole week :p

Anyways, Tedium, It's somewhat irrelevant since our elimination, but if any of this happened for Circumvention, I apologize for whoever might have been responsible for it. I personally can't account for anything like that on my part, but best to just say something in case it happened.