What Are You Working On?

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Anyways, I'm glad to see one of these threads here. I wish I had the time to look further into what you're all working on, but half of you will probably be asking me to look at your maps in the future anyways :p

I was going to wait until your BTB lobby but I don't see it up this week. Can you maybe throw my map Excavation into the mix? Or if you don't plan on hosting outside of HC for a while, maybe just some thoughts? I've gone to all the non-Competitive outlets and they say they enjoy playing on it, but it really needs a look at from good BTB analyzers.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
I was going to wait until your BTB lobby but I don't see it up this week. Can you maybe throw my map Excavation into the mix? Or if you don't plan on hosting outside of HC for a while, maybe just some thoughts? I've gone to all the non-Competitive outlets and they say they enjoy playing on it, but it really needs a look at from good BTB analyzers.

I'm not hosting this week because I've been super busy with school stuff. CTG will be back next week, fear not.

_Deg

Qualified
Jan 13, 2013
Currently working on a symmetrical Castle Wars inspired map. Made it on Impact at first, but didn't like the way it panned out.
Re-made it on Forge Island, but I've yet to set up spawns, gametype compatibility, and/or propitiatory cover.
Aesthetics are also still only half finished.

The middle of the map is a long, wide, and open hallway with each base main entrance on either side.
On either side of the center of this bridge is a roofer-off area, with a Mantis on each side. (Original Impact map had a banshee on one side, a Mantis on the other.)
Each base has two floors, bottom has dominion-pieces based aesthetics, Warthog and Mongoose vehicle spawns, and a downwards slope for cover.
The upper floor is accessed via two cannon men on an angled back wall, and the top floor has a one-way shield linking the outside and inside. CTF will have flag on top floor.

Don't currently have in-game images, drew these on MS Paint:
oqdAaFh.png

Map primarily made for Insta-Respawn, Random Weapons, 6-14 players, Hardlight Shields Only.

Will post images up, of both versions, as soon as possible.

Here's some screenshots of the original Impact version;
Much more detail, aesthetically items in the background such as satellites and asteroids, and space structures.
Fw5ozaY.jpg

nBcxQDM.jpg

6Rzosp6.jpg

ehbKvCy.jpg

xzOUU3D.jpg

And here's the current version I'm doing on Forge Island;
Much less detail, still needs more aesthetically items, and no background content yet.
Floating platform is for Forge spawning.
ZY50e1s.jpg
GiYpcix.jpg

3eVPzoe.jpg

ImFxomw.jpg

kVTgDXQ.jpg

XaEPi94.jpg

6XbyVt6.jpg

BakerSteez

Novice
Oct 1, 2013
I'm in the early stages of developing a game type I call "Infiltration". It's based on the Metal Gear Solid series ( I'm a pretty big fan of MGS). The concept is based on a ONE MAN team, aka SNAKE, who has to INFILTRATE the base and capture the flag without alerting the GUARDS. I have created two loadouts, one for Snake called "Operator" and one for the Guards called "Guard". The Operator loadout has a Magnum, Active Camo, Motion Sensor and increased melee damage (to represent Snake's CQC abilities). The Guard loadout has a Battle Rifle and frags, no tactical packages or perks. There will be weapons placed around the map for Snake to use.
I'm currently building a map specifically for this game type to attempt re-creating some of the scenes from Shadow Moses, such as the elevator at the beginning, the Tank battle with Raven, and of course the final battle with REX, REX being represented by a Mantis because they look almost EXACTLY the same.

I may have missed a few details but does this sound like anything you might want to play? or am I just wasting my time? lol

REX.jpg

_Deg

Qualified
Jan 13, 2013
I'm in the early stages of developing a game type I call "Infiltration". It's based on the Metal Gear Solid series ( I'm a pretty big fan of MGS). The concept is based on a ONE MAN team, aka SNAKE, who has to INFILTRATE the base and capture the flag without alerting the GUARDS. I have created two loadouts, one for Snake called "Operator" and one for the Guards called "Guard". The Operator loadout has a Magnum, Active Camo, Motion Sensor and increased melee damage (to represent Snake's CQC abilities). The Guard loadout has a Battle Rifle and frags, no tactical packages or perks. There will be weapons placed around the map for Snake to use.
I'm currently building a map specifically for this game type to attempt re-creating some of the scenes from Shadow Moses, such as the elevator at the beginning, the Tank battle with Raven, and of course the final battle with REX, REX being represented by a Mantis because they look almost EXACTLY the same.

I may have missed a few details but does this sound like anything you might want to play? or am I just wasting my time? lol

Depending on what gametype is used, you could make it so the "Grunts" are unable to jump, and have it so that Snake can, as a way to access vents, windows, and holes that'd give him protection + sneak.
You could also have a REX/RAY easter egg. :)

Reactions: BakerSteez

BakerSteez

Novice
Oct 1, 2013
Depending on what gametype is used, you could make it so the "Grunts" are unable to jump, and have it so that Snake can, as a way to access vents, windows, and holes that'd give him protection + sneak.
You could also have a REX/RAY easter egg. :)
great idea! if i can figure out how to do that i will haha.

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
I've been pretty sick this week and after my Pokemon X save was corrupted and crushed my dreams, I decided to attempt to draw a layout. I can't draw so I then decided to do it on Paint.net. Anyway.... The map I have in mind is for when I take a break from GTA and Pokemon and is a fairly simple 4 v 4 arena style map that has a ridiculously generic layout!!:y: Mainly inspired by Midship, it has two floors but I only have one picture (for the top floor) to represent that so it might be a little difficult to understand.​
Eh the picture is missing a few things but this should be alright​
  • Pink squares are jump ups/downs. In this case they are rocks surrounded by water (forge island) that can be used to jump up from the bottom floor and vice versa
  • Purple circles are the gravity lifts. As this is the top floor this is where they come out.
  • Grey areas are drop downs.
  • White is just generally where the player can roam
  • Black is where no man can traverse!
  • Little black arrows represent ramps. On this map they are kind of like Midship/Heretic/Zealot where they dip down on both sides and then meet at a third ramp which goes up from the bottom floor.
Layout_zps37982c71.png

I want top gold to be more open looking out onto the forge island ocean while top green resembles a tower akin to lockouts where it is nestled against a cliff.​
I'm also think of a fairly familiar weapon setup to its inspirations with sniper spawning at top gold and sword at top mid (thinking of having it on top of bottom mid where you can't jump to it but have to drop down from to top mid to get it). I would like a camo at the bottom of the tower but I guess an OS would do.​
I probably won't start working on this for a while but it would be nice to hear some initial impressions as it would put me in the right direction as I have never done a 4 v 4 or smaller. Also if there's something you can't determine from the layout picture just ask.​

Reactions: RogerDodger

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com

Just make sure that there would be enough hard routes to the upper levels of the map. That's all I can say about the matter since I don't really have much to look at.

And please, oh please. Don't make a square map.

I can give more feedback once there are actual pictures of the map. It's hard to tell how the map would be with one bird's-eye sketch,

Reactions: RegrettedKarma6
Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
But it's a diamond :( Nah I wanted to make the halls curved like haven and midship, I just have to see if I can do it cleanly or not. As for hard routes up, I think it should be okay, there's three main ramps up.

Psychoduck

Round Objects™
Dec 23, 2012
Greater Seattle Area
Is it like Panic Station? Warthogs being able to get everywhere?
Panic Attack is a major evolution on the concept behind Panic Station. Warthogs can go pretty much anywhere, but their routes are a bit more controlled. The map uses jumps and ledges to create directional flow for vehicles. All of this geometry is ver y interesting for infantry also. The routes are all important for vehicles and infantry, and the map has loads of cool tac jumps. I think that the only way to really get a feel for the map is to play it.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Panic Attack is a major evolution on the concept behind Panic Station. Warthogs can go pretty much anywhere, but their routes are a bit more controlled. The map uses jumps and ledges to create directional flow for vehicles. All of this geometry is ver y interesting for infantry also. The routes are all important for vehicles and infantry, and the map has loads of cool tac jumps. I think that the only way to really get a feel for the map is to play it.

With the amazing population of Halo 4, even getting a 4v4 lobby together is challenging. But I'll be sure to load up the map when I get a 6v6 lobby up which, fortunately, happens every now and then. :)

Reactions: Ro0k92