What Are You Working On?

ShockBolt21

Master
Feb 1, 2013
USA- Eastern Time Zone
Right now I'm just polishing up my maps. Check out my finalizing update for Battleship and the new Scorpion Dominance now that the game-breaking spawnkill issues have been fixed. I will add King of the Hill to the Slender Rising Competitive map, among other improvements to it, and will add neutral spawns to the small team variant so it can be played as a Free for All. I also intend to further enhance Jetpack Attack, though I'm not sure how.

Apr 27, 2013
UK
HELP ME.

I'm having some real problems with weird spawn weighting in a minigame map I've made. I'm gonna tell you my problem, then list all information about it that i can think of. Any suggestions, informed or just guesses, are appreciated. Links to tutorials or spawning geeks will also be appreciated.

The problem is, there are 9 'towers' (each tower is an upside down tree, with room enough for only one player) where the defenders can respawn, but for some reason one of the towers seems to take priority over all the others and is spawned on about 90% of the time. The game I play it with is KOTH. I got the '90%' statistic when playing with 1 player, so there are no nearby players affecting the weighting.

Things I am aware of increasing spawn weighting
+ Nearby allies

Things I know am aware of decreasing spawn weighting
- Nearby enemies
- Enemy cross-hairs pointed in the direction of the spawn point
- Recent nearby allied deaths
- Nearby projectiles

Info + Theories
  • Each tower has a respawn point and 3 duplicate weapons on it (eg one has 3 concussion rifles, one has 3 assault rifles etc.), except for two towers which just have 4 grenades each.
  • The weighted tower is one of the grenade towers
  • The weighted tower is the closest to the hill
  • The weighted tower is closest to the map wide safe zone
  • All towers have the same elevation
  • There are no respawn zones / respawn zones anti placed on the map
  • Placing respawn zones (weak or strong) adds so much weighting that the players will ONLY spawn in the zones.
  • killing myself on the tower, having an enemy look at the tower / stand near the tower, or throwing shit at the tower cause the defender to spawn on another one as it should. But if i discontinue any of these factors the defender just respawns back on the same one
  • Interestingly the most common other towers spawned on are the 2nd grenade tower and the sniper rifle tower.

Apr 27, 2013
UK
Maybe Mr. Green can assist you.

http://forginghalo4.wordpress.com/

Give the spawning articles a look. They may be of some help to you.

Thanx for the link, this guy is really hardcore huh? crazily, still no answer though :confused: (at least not in the 'weighting' section). It's so indepth, but from scanning the section and using ctrl F, the entirety of the page is oriented around respawn zones, player movement, projectiles, ordnance... even a bit about oddballs. But since I've been testing my map with only one player and in koth, NONE OF IT APPLIES.

One thing I did discover though is that weak anti zones are not just the opposite version of weak zones, they're much weaker, I don't think ive actually tested the map with them so i'll give that a shot. thnx again!

Reactions: Zandril

theSpinCycle

Adept
Dec 31, 2012
One thing I did discover though is that weak anti zones are not just the opposite version of weak zones, they're much weaker, I don't think ive actually tested the map with them so i'll give that a shot. thnx again!

Yeah, that's definitely something to note. As a last resort, there's always the option of putting a strong anti zones on the tower that's causing you problems, then if that's too much, throwing some weak zones on it.

How many nearby allies are generally on the tower you're having trouble with? Those are pretty strong influences in this game from what I understand.

You seem to be having a very strange problem. I don't know what would work if the above stuff doesn't help you.

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
Figured I'd breathe some new life into this thread. Working on my submission for the 2v2 contest. Should be fun. :)

j2WCxjN.jpg

RogerDodger

Master
Jan 20, 2013
USA
I revamped an old BTB map of mine, previously called Excavation.
It's now ready for Beta testing in only Team Slayer for 10 - 14 players.
Map here -- Gametype here
Feedback? You can tag me, write on my page, start a conversation, or use telepathy*
Thanks!
*Disclaimer* using telepathy may cause severe illness, including but not limited to: spontaneous explosive death by diarrhea.

Apr 27, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
Everything's coloured green on the map, that's red atrium, the other side will be the same except the red will be replaced with blue. I only made it green because of what the title references, but I grew attached :rolleyes:

Zandril

HC Veteran
May 2, 2013
42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
www.youtube.com
I'm currently juggling about 4 maps. Yeah, yeah I know that's not a good idea but I made them anyway. I'm not going to rush them though. I'm going to try to make them as best as I can.

Ordered by priority.

1. My 2v2 map submission for the forge contest.
  2. 4v4 map on Forge Island. Forerunner-themed.
  3. A map for the Hostage Rescue gametype.
  4. A linear Flood map.
I'll try to get some pictures.

Reactions: Ro0k92 and Auburn

Skyward Shoe

Platinum in Destiny
Dec 24, 2012
Redmond, Washington
I've got 3 projects in different stages and entirely different types of play.

1. A BTB (almost heavies, but still quite balanced) map on Forge Island with 2 Mantis's called Excavation. It is pretty far along in testing.
2. A Puzzle map that I have legitimately had in the works for 2 years (started in Reach) that is finally getting finished.
3. A Linear Infection Map that I'm planning out with Duck. It's going to have a bathroom. That is all.

Rodan117

Proficient
Nov 1, 2013
I've got a few ideas for a 2v2 contest submission, and I'm trying to go asymmetric, but i'm having a rough go of it. Hopefully I can pull something out of thin air.

Dax

o/
Jan 12, 2013
I tried studying for a final. Instead, I came up with this. MS Paint ftw.

2v2 concept1.png

I know, it doesn't really make sense. :p Hopefully I can pick up the old forge stick sometime this weekend and come back with actual screenshots.