Halo What happened to the 'Clans' feature which we assumed would be implemented?

Hate

Novice
Jan 10, 2013
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
ExpertZone2_0012_watermarkWhite+copy+7.jpg

As you can see from the bottom statement, 'improved support to create, organize and track groups' I assumed this would mean the implementation of clans like halo 2. However I am beggining to assume this just meant the feature in the bottom of the screen where you can press 'x' to view friends online.

Am i right in thinking there is no future for clan implementation in halo 4?

SwedishGuy

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Sweden
I think that 343i has stated that the clan system will be featured in a future update. They've said the same about Campaign Theatre, so we just have to wait and see...

BigStack

Server Caretaker
Staff member
Dec 23, 2012
Well as they have not yet released the update that puts ranks in I wouldn't expect his for awhile.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
This whole update idea is great for them. They just release a half finished game and update it for the next 6 months! Makes you think why they didn't just sell us a blank disc and update it next year.
Hey, the game is good, the story is good, the graphics are good. Its not like they didnt give us the game. Now all they are doing is debugging it, and giving us features to let us enjoy the game more. Not like you had to wait for an update to play campaign, or play competitive multiplayer. And we all knew Spartan ops was weekly episodes. Relax, 343 made a great game, and are only trying to improve the experience. Unless you would have wanted to wait a full year knowing the only reason they weren't selling it yet was because they had to fix the file share huh? That sounds like a plan.

mazdak26

Proficient
file share, precision forging, monitor zoom, clan system, about 10 game types, weapon balance, and an insane number of exploitable areas in multplayer. The game released with only 10 maps, the least of all the halo series, just so that they could be added in when they were finally done months later. No halo game besides halo 4 has been developed in less than 3 years. 343 could have gone above and beyond with that extra year. It could have been a starting title on the Xbox 720. That would have been a significant step.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
file share, precision forging, monitor zoom, clan system, about 10 game types, weapon balance, and an insane number of exploitable areas in multplayer. The game released with only 10 maps, the least of all the halo series, just so that they could be added in when they were finally done months later. No halo game besides halo 4 has been developed in less than 3 years. 343 could have gone above and beyond with that extra year. It could have been a starting title on the Xbox 720. That would have been a significant step.
When Halo 4 was on the drawing board, the Xbox 720 was a goal for the future, but just that. Plan hadnt been taken at that point. If you REALLY want to be picky, just look at this as a beta for halo 4, and you get all these cool and advanced features before the rest comes out. Not like you have to pay for them.

Besides, Halo 4 started being developed in 2008... 4 years of development.. not less than 3.

mazdak26

Proficient
343 started coming together in late 2008. They weren't a coherent team until 2009, and development didn't really pick up until late 2010. Not to mention that they developed another game, while not very difficult to make, still significantly stunted the development of Halo 4. Halo 4 has definitely had the shortest development period out of any main halo game.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
Now onto you points:
A. File Share, yes its down, it makes everyone a little anxious, but when it does work, think of how many things there will be to share., It wont have to be filled up, it will be full.
B. Precision forging: Still better than Halo reach any day. And they are not bad. Yeah, maybe you cant zoom in, but you can lay the base foundation 4x faster than in reach, and spend a bit making it look pretty.
C: If Monitor zoom isnt your idea of precision forging, then obviously you cant be talking about the "edit coordinates" or magnets huh?
D: Clan System: So it hasnt been implemented yet. Are you going to blame 343? Blame bungie, they had it in Halo 2, then took it out in Halo 3... or is that 343's fault also?
E: Weapon balance. If your talking about the Boltshot... well, it's not as bad as the mauler, and you cant dual wield it. It takes a moment to charge up, and everyone can hear that. It just takes time to practice avoiding it. Honestly, I find the plasma pistol more overpowered because I play BTB and dominion. In which the boltshot is useless. The boltshot to people is like the plasma pistol to vehicles. The DMR is the only overpowered weapon in the game, and it is NOWHERE near as over powered as the beloved HALO CE pistol. Which everyone loves and adores. Even with damage boost the DMR only matches the HALO CE pistol.
F:10 maps? Halo reach only started with 8 (Boardwalk, boneyard, countdown,powerhouse, reflection, spire, sword base,zealot) 9 if you count Forge world. and 14 if you count forge worlds pre-built maps.
Now lets compare Halo 4. 10 Base maps, 3 forge maps, and 3 forge pre-built maps. bringing that to a grand total of 16 maps it shipped with. Think you were a little off there buddy. Check your facts.
G: Microsoft need to have a well established team for the launch of Xbox 720. 343 was not well established until they launched HALO 4. think of Halo 5 to the Xbox 720 as Halo 2 was to Xbox Live. maybe you'll feel a bit better about yourself.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
343 started coming together in late 2008. They weren't a coherent team until 2009, and development didn't really pick up until late 2010. Not to mention that they developed another game, while not very difficult to make, still significantly stunted the development of Halo 4. Halo 4 has definitely had the shortest development period out of any main halo game.
what game did they develop? HALO CEA? that was barely them. they had Sabor industries doing most of that. they were just in charge. they delegated most of that work so they could focus on Halo 4. And you honestly believe that it took over 1 year for a coherent team to start working on a game? What were they doing, twiddling their thumbs?

mazdak26

Proficient
let's go through this systematically:
Now onto you points:
A. File Share, yes its down, it makes everyone a little anxious, but when it does work, think of how many things there will be to share., It wont have to be filled up, it will be full.
File share is down. Period. Shouldn't be that way. Get your shit together, 343. The fact that it will have a lot more maps than it would have had at lauch means nothing compared to the number of maps that would have been on the fileshare had it been online from launch until 343 decides to grace us with the privilege of fileshare.
B. Precision forging: Still better than Halo reach any day. And they are not bad. Yeah, maybe you cant zoom in, but you can lay the base foundation 4x faster than in reach, and spend a bit making it look pretty.
I'll assume you never forged a day in reach. 343/certain affinity took out/overlooked an important feature that allowed you to move the object incredibly slowly of you clicked the left stick while moving it. This allowed you to place any piece exactly where you wanted it, making aesthetic map makers' lives easier and smooth race maps much easier to forge. In halo 4, you're gonna have to sit there for at least 5 minutes lining up two pieces if they're not on the coordinate plane or don't snap to any of the arbitrarily assigned magnets (seriously, why can't I snap banks to the sides of ramps???). As for the fact that you can lay the base foundation in reach, that is only if you wanted to forge a map in reach whos base was off the coordinate plane, and even then, precision forging made it easier to do, anyway.
C: If Monitor zoom isnt your idea of precision forging, then obviously you cant be talking about the "edit coordinates" or magnets huh?
What? of course monitor zoom doesn't allow you to forge precisely. What precision forging is, I have already described to you in the previous paragraph.
D: Clan System: So it hasnt been implemented yet. Are you going to blame 343? Blame bungie, they had it in Halo 2, then took it out in Halo 3... or is that 343's fault also?
Yes I am going to blame 343 for not implementing a feature of the game that they promised the community before they bought it. In fact, going back to precision forging, that was stated by Frank O' Connor to be in the game already. This, along with the false promise for the clan system and many other things can be labelled as lying for sales. It is one thing to not implement a promise you made and another thing to take out a feature for whatever reason. At least bungie didn't promise there would be a clan system in halo 3, only to take it away from the fans.
E: Weapon balance. If your talking about the Boltshot... well, it's not as bad as the mauler, and you cant dual wield it. It takes a moment to charge up, and everyone can hear that. It just takes time to practice avoiding it. Honestly, I find the plasma pistol more overpowered because I play BTB and dominion. In which the boltshot is useless. The boltshot to people is like the plasma pistol to vehicles. The DMR is the only overpowered weapon in the game, and it is NOWHERE near as over powered as the beloved HALO CE pistol. Which everyone loves and adores. Even with damage boost the DMR only matches the HALO CE pistol.
first of all, the main difference between the boltshot and the mauler is that the boltshot is a starting weapon and not a reward for picking it up off the map. DMR is OP, Plasma pistol is insanely annoying to play against in BTB, and the Biggest problem, ordonance. Because of randomization, you may be rewarded significantly less than someone else for doing the same thing. If two players both gets the same number of points and both get personal ordonance, except one gets to choose between a shotgun, Overshield, and plasma, while other player chooses between a needler, pulse grenade, and speed boost, is that exactly fair? no.
F:10 maps? Halo reach only started with 8 (Boardwalk, boneyard, countdown,powerhouse, reflection, spire, sword base,zealot) 9 if you count Forge world. and 14 if you count forge worlds pre-built maps.
Now lets compare Halo 4. 10 Base maps, 3 forge maps, and 3 forge pre-built maps. bringing that to a grand total of 16 maps it shipped with. Think you were a little off there buddy. Check your facts.
Halo reach came with 8 default maps, plus forgeworld, which is not a multiplayer map, plus 5 forge maps gives you a total of 13 maps available in matchmaking. Halo 4 started with 10 maps, plus 3 forge environments<forge world, which don't count as maps anyway, plus 3 maps of significantly lower quality, which aren't even available in matchmaking until this weekend = 10 maps
G: Microsoft need to have a well established team for the launch of Xbox 720. 343 was not well established until they launched HALO 4. think of Halo 5 to the Xbox 720 as Halo 2 was to Xbox Live. maybe you'll feel a bit better about yourself.
343 is made up entirely of well established game developers. Many employees from Bungie, Josh Holmes from 2K sports, etc. They are seasoned developers. If you are saying that they needed too release Halo 4 on Xbox 360 so that they could be well established enough to launch on Xbox 720, then this makes halo 4 a practice game. An incomplete beta just like I said earlier. And besides, Halo 2 was arguably the high point of the halo franchise, anyway.

Also, try not to take everything so personally next time, bro.

Reactions: Zeezke99

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
File share is down. Period. Shouldn't be that way. Get your shit together, 343. The fact that it will have a lot more maps than it would have had at lauch means nothing compared to the number of maps that would have been on the fileshare had it been online from launch until 343 decides to grace us with the privilege of fileshare.

How many maps right now would you have from HALO 4 if they would have released it in a year. None. You can find maps, and it is more tedious. but they are there.

I'll assume you never forged a day in reach. 343/certain affinity took out/overlooked an important feature that allowed you to move the object incredibly slowly of you clicked the left stick while moving it. This allowed you to place any piece exactly where you wanted it, making aesthetic map makers' lives easier and smooth race maps much easier to forge. In halo 4, you're gonna have to sit there for at least 5 minutes lining up two pieces if they're not on the coordinate plane or don't snap to any of the arbitrarily assigned magnets (seriously, why can't I snap banks to the sides of ramps???). As for the fact that you can lay the base foundation in reach, that is only if you wanted to forge a map in reach whos base was off the coordinate plane, and even then, precision forging made it easier to do, anyway.

Obviously you havent forged on HALO 4. Look straight down on it, and it moves you incredibly slow as well. Yes, the magnets are not perfect. but if you turn them off, they are just like halo reaches. I've been watching halo 4 forge aesthetics videos for the past 2 months, and they are pretty awesome.

Yes I am going to blame 343 for not implementing a feature of the game that they promised the community before they bought it. In fact, going back to precision forging, that was stated by Frank O' Connor to be in the game already. This, along with the false promise for the clan system and many other things can be labelled as lying for sales. It is one thing to not implement a promise you made and another thing to take out a feature for whatever reason. At least bungie didn't promise there would be a clan system in halo 3, only to take it away from the fans.

You talk like they took it out intentionally, like its a simple feature to implement, Like halo is the only game to have done this? Precision forging is in HALO 4, obviously you just never took the time to explore and figure it out. The only thing bungie didnt have was a bunch over over crazed fans looking for any reason to discredit them. Atleast HALO didnt pull a COD game out and copy and paste graphics/sound and give it a new story. Halo tried to improve gameplay and graphics. Sure, they are behind on features, but whats more important to you, extra's or good graphics. Cause im sure they could have delayed making the game look good.

first of all, the main difference between the boltshot and the mauler is that the boltshot is a starting weapon and not a reward for picking it up off the map. DMR is OP, Plasma pistol is insanely annoying to play against in BTB, and the Biggest problem, ordonance. Because of randomization, you may be rewarded significantly less than someone else for doing the same thing. If two players both gets the same number of points and both get personal ordonance, except one gets to choose between a shotgun, Overshield, and plasma, while other player chooses between a needler, pulse grenade, and speed boost, is that exactly fair? no.

that is a fair arguement. but as i said, the boltshot is just the anti-personnel counter-part to the plasma pistol. And very few people complain about the plasma pistol. You know, it can get annoying when it seems like every enemy has a better weapon, but let me ask you this. Which is better. The enemy team camping all the weapon spawns, and getting ALL the power weapons EVERY time they respawned? Even if you indivudually are picking up the slack for the rest of your team. Or where one side may have a temporary firepower advantage, because they dont respawn in the same place. And the better you do, the more power weapons you are likely to get. Oh, and id pick needler any day over shotgun. Which player do you think is doing more work for less reward? the one with no power wepons, and holding the team together, or the one with a chance of power weapons holding the team together? It may not seem fair in game, but it is way more practical. It is nowhere near as unfair as COD where a LV50 (or whatever highest rank is) has exp, better weapon, better attachments, and better perks.

Halo reach came with 8 default maps, plus forgeworld, which is not a multiplayer map, plus 5 forge maps gives you a total of 13 maps available in matchmaking. Halo 4 started with 10 maps, plus 3 forge environments<forge world, which don't count as maps anyway, plus 3 maps of significantly lower quality, which aren't even available in matchmaking until this weekend = 10 maps

Asylum was not that high quality of a map. It was simple. the cage was a complete joke when it came to fairness and one side being overpowered, Hemorrhage was comletely unfair to the blue team with lack of sniping spots. Pinnacle was a spawn camping nightmare. And I saw Paradiso maybe 20 times my entire HALO reach career. It was not a popular map by any means.

343 is made up entirely of well established game developers. Many employees from Bungie, Josh Holmes from 2K sports, etc. They are seasoned developers. If you are saying that they needed too release Halo 4 on Xbox 360 so that they could be well established enough to launch on Xbox 720, then this makes halo 4 a practice game. An incomplete beta just like I said earlier. And besides, Halo 2 was arguably the high point of the halo franchise, anyway.

Alright, lets make a sports reference here. Lets get the Major League Baseball All-star team together the day be for the World Series, and have them play in it. No time to train together, to coordinate, anything. Now, who would you bet on? the team that earned its way to the World Series, or the one that was just makeshift made from the best? There is a reason the yankees dont with the world series every year. Same goes into Video games. I dont care if they were put together from the best. I dont care if he did this, she did that, and that person lead this group. That doesnt guarantee they will get along, and work well alongside each other to create one outstanding piece of art. They needed to prove themselves. And halo 4 is how they did it. They are also using halo 4 as a learning curve. Remember, Halo 4 maybe ran by people who made prior halo's, but this is O'conner's first video game he has led. He has, and will continue to learn from his mistakes. And what is an incomplete beta? Halo has few errors, near perfect campaign, and a multiplayer, that even with all its mistakes, still beats out halo reaches multiplayer any day. Would you rather have armor lock back? And correction, Halo 2 was arguably the best point of the trilogy. You can't say franchise till they are done making them.

I'm happy there is a Halo 4. Idk about you, but a lot of people were not expecting it. 343 produced an amazing game, despite some of its flaws. Stop attacking points in Halo which are purely bonuses. Do you remember why you love halo? I got my first xbox (original) in late 2007. Halo 3 had already come out, and here I was playing Halo CE. Oh it was a marvelous game. The controls were smooth, the transitions between difficulties were perfect. The creativity of a new enemy to fight. A Universe to explore, skills to master, and endless hours of stressful fun. That is what makes halo such a great game. Halo 4 has all of that. Then I got an Xbox360 and played Halo Reach, met the community behind halo, and was enlightened to new features that made certain aspects a convience, like fileshare, forge, ect. Do you see the difference? Halo is a great game, even without all those convenient features. Stop ranting on what you hate about the new halo, and remember why you love halo. And how none of that has been taken away.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
Though from Everything said, I give you good sir, props for actually being able to argue in an educational manner. And not just completely bashing halo for everything it stands for. We are arguing over matters of opinion, and for which, it is human instinct not to change, with neither of us knowing who is definitively correct in this topic at hand. For this, I will like your posts, as a gesture to trolls out there that dont actually understand the points to valid debates.

FRYMEN

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
Though from Everything said, I give you good sir, props for actually being able to argue in an educational manner. And not just completely bashing halo for everything it stands for. We are arguing over matters of opinion, and for which, it is human instinct not to change, with neither of us knowing who is definitively correct in this topic at hand. For this, I will like your posts, as a gesture to trolls out there that dont actually understand the points to valid debates.

I concur.
Good job, gentlemen. You two should really look into doing a blog together just to have more debates in general.

Berb

Master
Dec 30, 2012
I very much enjoy how 343 released an unfinished game, and refuse to do fuck all about it. Maybe it's because they're working on DLC to drain more money from us before they provide the features they promised.

TravisTheShadow

Qualified
Jan 10, 2013
Virginia
Now onto you points:

You can zoom in, you just hold RT and press up on left stick. I think that's how I did it. It was something like that.

Vinceagashi

Qualified
Jan 14, 2013
Halo 4 was in development for almost 4 years.

Zeezke99

Expert
Jan 9, 2013
343 had a minor role in HALO CEA... The game was already made, and another game programming company changed the graphics to look like reach.