What should they upgrade in Halo 5 Forge?

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
If you are a forger like me then you know how frustrating some of forges limitations can be. some of these being that when you want to customize something you can't get but just so detailed before you run out of options
This thread is a bit of a wish list for forgers of what we want to have with the new upgraded hardware (xbox 720) in halo 5
1. precision editing
2. return of custom power ups
3. a way of adding a very random factor to power ups
4. fixed lighting system
5. re-sizable grav zones
6. way of effecting either the whole lobby, one specific team, or one specific player with whatever means
7. water
8. forge world
9. independent weapon traits
10. custom flood (still a complete mystery to me as to why they locked it down so tightly)
so this is my wish list i wanna see yalls wish lists

DavidJCobb

Novice
Feb 3, 2013
  • Ability to set an object to despawn <X> seconds after it last (re)spawned
  • Ability to "paint" and "erase" parts of shadows
  • Larger number of smoother terrain-textured objects, with more advanced lighting/shadowing
    • This would allow terraforming -- it'd turn Forge into a poor man's terrain editor
  • Complete removal of per-category quantity limits, since there is no case where they have ever managed to keep performance at an acceptable level (which is ostensibly their purpose)

Reactions: Sinogard

cjw255

Proficient
Jan 12, 2013
some bright spark said wouldnt it be cool to build there then load up a new map and build over there and then forge world was destroyed

thanks bright spark

cjw255

Proficient
Jan 12, 2013
Definitely a terain editor is needed. Also we need fine editing back. I also personally think we need more forge pieces. Also 343i Y U B TROLLIN' Bring back forge world.
they should have no map restrictions

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013
I don't think we need a terrain editor. Otherwise it wouldn't be Forge.

why? That statement makes no sense to me. Given a new hardware platform with next gen capabilities, I think a terrain editor would be obvious.

I would like to see adjustable pieces, like building blocks that can be resized in 3 dimensions, or mancannons where you can define the arc it sends you on.
Something I want to be removed- the range of distance from an object you can be when you grab it, that is proportional to the size of the object. You know how if you grab a grid or some other huge thing, the game assumes you need to see all of it and shoots you backwards... that's annoying for multiple reasons, and unnecessary.

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
why? That statement makes no sense to me. Given a new hardware platform with next gen capabilities, I think a terrain editor would be obvious.

Yeah it would be cool, it would be possible, but its not what forge is. You could create something without even using any forge pieces. It would be like taking a play doh set, grabbing the tubs they came in, piling them up and claiming you have made a building. Forge is about using the pieces and terrain provided and working with it, blending them together to create something different from the pieces themselves and the terrain on its own.

Indie Anthias

Master
Jan 14, 2013
I say if you're creative enough to make a nice building using the play doh tubs, go for it. Let's not get attached to arbitrary limitations.

This is saying that a limitation is part of "what something is" when it was not intended as such, it was only a byproduct of the technological playing field at the time. Consider how far forge has come from what it was originally "intended" to be... a tool to change weapon arrangements and maybe throw in a random crate or two.

Reactions: Sinogard

Elliot

Yorkshire Pudding Guru
Jan 10, 2013
York, United Kingdom
I say if you're creative enough to make a nice building using the play doh tubs, go for it. Let's not get attached to arbitrary limitations.

This is saying that a limitation is part of "what something is" when it was not intended as such, it was only a byproduct of the technological playing field at the time. Consider how far forge has come from what it was originally "intended" to be... a tool to change weapon arrangements and maybe throw in a random crate or two.

Touche

Reactions: Indie Anthias

Rev Righteous

Proficient
  1. Grouping; it's in every other editor and creation software of note. It's a standard at this point in computing. We should be able to group multiple objects, then rotate, move or copy them all simultaneously. I know Forge is different than most editors since you are "doing it live" and it has to render everything in real-time but there has to be a way to implement this.
  2. More variety of pieces. This doesn't have to be just decorative stuff, could even be more basic blocks too. Things like arches, more door and window shapes, some large flats that are intended to be floors (unlike the coliseum walls,) etc. I would especially like to see mirrored copies of all of the current asymmetrical blocks. Seriously, why have we been limited by stairs and curved ramps that only face one way for multiple games now?
  3. New levels with different themes. Some Forerunner or Covenant parts would be great, but even just some variations on terrain types and human pieces would be fine. Personally, I'd rather have new maps that cover a wide variety of terrain (dessert, inside a Covenant ship, a swampy jungle, on the pine-forested hills of a Halo, etc) than have Forgeworld back. Every map looked the same on that to me. It would be better to give us some new large canvases that spark new ideas than to just give us everything we have already had to let a few people with a hard-on for Forgeworld keep re-making the same maps forever. "Here's the map I made in Reach, now for Halo 17, cool me!!1!!" Of course, if they go the terrain editor route this will be moot. I think a terrain editor unlikely though, since Forge is "live."
  4. All the game-type variables unlocked. As has already been mentioned, it makes no sense to me that Flood loadouts, etc, are locked. Or that Flood supports team-specific loadouts, but no other game-type does.

Shiralai

Emoticon Guru
Jan 13, 2013
1. precision editing
2. instead of base colors have skins. therefore you can have different patterned blocks and whatnot
3. grouping like righteous said
4. if its on the 720, maybe ground editor?
5. more different color special effects. DONT DENY US BY TAKING AWAY COLORS
6. option for dynamic lighting or have a indoor function where everything is bright like reach.
7. adjustable pieces and ability to shrink and enlarge pieces

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
1. precision editing
2. instead of base colors have skins. therefore you can have different patterned blocks and whatnot
3. grouping like righteous said
4. if its on the 720, maybe ground editor?
5. more different color special effects. DONT DENY US BY TAKING AWAY COLORS
6. option for dynamic lighting or have a indoor function where everything is bright like reach.
7. adjustable pieces and ability to shrink and enlarge pieces
I found a solution for problem #6
if you set any pieces that are casting a shadow on your map to spawn at start false and set them to spawn time 9 or under then they will not create any shadows even when you load up the map for a custom game

Reactions: Ormy96
1. MORE OBJECTS!
2. No object limits... I could have done more of my maps if I didn't have this limitation. To be honest if its a limiting because of how binary works you can still do 254, 1 byte, with ease.
3. Moar terrains and naturals
4. Separate spawning, objective, and dominion objects from the actual objects limits. The fact that both spawn points and building blocks share this limit makes no sense and hinders large scale map building.
5. More lights. Not balls but lines and they should have options to have the light pulse, travel along the line, and be moveable.
6. Precisiojn editing
7. Grouping objects

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
the reason they have object limits is because of the hardware being so old, any more and it would lag alot
also halo is not coded in binary, infact i dont think any game in the past 20 years has been
oh and spawning has no budget cost so it does not hinder your building but i do agree with most of everything else

you missed my point. Spawn points and 1x1 blocks (For example) Share an invisible object limit. an objective, A hill, and a medium Bridge, Share a invisible object limit. the same goes for all objects in forge which caps at about 300ish objects.
I never said get rid of the budget. I said to get rid of the stupid 100 Building block limit or the 50 walls limit, or even the 12 crates limit. Keep the overall limit (300ish), i don't have a problem with that.
-edit-
I probably could have been more clear on reflection.

IAMAGUN15

Proficient
Jan 10, 2013
North Carolina
oh ok i see what you mean now, although i do think that 250 is plenty of spawning pieces, hell i've never come close to hitting that but yeah the 100 building blocks has annoyed me even on my smaller maps

DavidJCobb

Novice
Feb 3, 2013
I found a solution for problem #6
if you set any pieces that are casting a shadow on your map to spawn at start false and set them to spawn time 9 or under then they will not create any shadows even when you load up the map for a custom game
A host migration will cause them to re-shade, cast shadows, and count toward the lighting limit.

you missed my point. Spawn points and 1x1 blocks (For example) Share an invisible object limit. an objective, A hill, and a medium Bridge, Share a invisible object limit. the same goes for all objects in forge which caps at about 300ish objects.
I thought the cap was closer to 600.